34.

Chapter 34.

"Hey crowd! Get excited! Cheer for the red and black!" The cheerleading squad yelled into the stands to pump up the crowd.

I stood on the side by coach, dressed in my uniform as everyone else, but I was just watching as I had suffered a twisted ankle yesterday during practice. Long story short, I wasn't ready to be a flyer.

My eyes scanned the crowd carefully in hopes of finding Mom. She'd promised to be here tonight since it was birthday, and I was really hoping she'd live up to her promise. It was almost half time though and there was still no sign of her. I'd be lying if I said I was surprised, but it still hurt.

"Hey hun, do you mind grabbing the bag of shirts from the locker room for me?" Coach Heather asked before glancing down to my ankle and adding, "That is if your ankle is feeling okay to walk on?"

I smiled smally, "Yeah sure." It wasn't that long of a walk to the locker rooms and my ankle was just a little sore that I had a slight limp.

"Thank you Lilly."

I nodded in response before turning on my toe and headed towards the gate. There was still no sign of Mom in the crowd as I walked past the stands. It was definitely disappointing, but I was sure that something must have just come up.

"Lilly!" Jamie shrieked in excitement as she came barreling towards me with her arms wide open. Her braids flopped over her shoulders with each step she took; she was the cutest 8 year old.

I stopped in my tracks and turned to face her with a big smile. "Hi! What are you doing here, shouldn't you be at your brothers game?" I asked.

Jamie was one of Dylan's younger sisters who his parents had asked if I could babysit occasionally.

 She giggled as she wrapped her arms around me into a tight embrace around my waist. "Dylan isn't playing tonight. I came here tonight with him."

I didn't know why Dylan wasn't playing, but I just shrugged it off and crouched down to her level. "Where's your sister Kim?"

"Kim hates football," Jamie responded with a laugh.

I grinned as I straightened myself up. "So why aren't you with Dylan?"

Jamie smiled. "I am."

I raised an eyebrow, ready to ask what she meant since Dylan wasn't with her, when I felt an arm wrap around my shoulder lazily- scaring the crap out of me. Dylan.

"Hello Faye," he greeted with a satisfied grin. "Why aren't you out there cheering tonight?"

I frowned and pointed down to my wrapped ankle. "Twisted ankle." Turning my head to meet his eyes, I quirked an eyebrow. "Why aren't you playing in your own game tonight?"

Dylan shrugged, "The other team had to cancel for some reason."

"So you wanted to come to this game? Why?"

It didn't make any sense that Dylan would want to come to this game. It wasn't like he needed to get insight on our team, he'd already played them twice. So why would he want to come to this game?

Dylan shifted uncomfortably. It was the first time since I'd met him that I noticed him get uncomfortable. It was oddly satisfying to see him like that. "Jamie wanted to come here tonight."

I quirked an eyebrow and repeated myself. "Why?"

"She wanted to see a r- uh, a friend, of mine."

I grinned, suddenly realizing who it was that he was actually here for. "Awe, is this because of Nixi?"

Dylan started to raise an eyebrow for half a second before he nodded, changing his mood. "Yes, that is who we are here for."