His Eyes

Daddy drops his brown bottle on the floor and it breaks. Brown stuff spills out and mommy shouts at daddy for spilling it. Daddy yells at mommy and throws a chair at the wall. Mommy cries out to me and tells me to go to my room. Daddy starts to hit mommy, again, and again, and again. Mommy is crying loud now. Daddy won't stop...

I woke up from a nightmare and felt my forehead. It was wet and my entire back was covered in sweat. I felt grimy and gross. I swung my legs over the bed and looked at the clock on my bedside table. 

I hopped in the shower to wash away the distress of my seemingly recurring nightmare. I used to have them when I was a kid, but they never seemed to have gone away.

I blow dried my long brown hair and curled the ends, my makeup today was minimal, as I wanted to be professional. 

I picked out my nicest looking dress and the prettiest heels I owned. I slipped my clothes on and looked at myself in the mirror.

Am I actually trying to impress someone? I could not actually be developing feelings for the rude, demeaning, and pushy boss I newly acquired. 

I went into the kitchen where I saw Maggie sitting in her PJs reading the newspaper while sipping on her coffee.

"Looking good, hot date?" she laughed. She loved playing on my lack of a love life, sometimes I just wish I didn't tell her everything, so she can stop making fun of me. 

"Thanks Maggie. I'm kind of nervous, what if I don't fit in there?" I asked, ignoring her comment about my absent date. 

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure your little boyfriend will make you feel just right" she wiggled her eyebrows and laughed.

I felt my face turn red. "You just love embarrassing me don't you?"

"Love it." She said as she put her empty mug in the sink "listen, I'll be out later today. I'm going to go see Jack after work. Order some food...unless you'll be out with..."

"I'll order pizza" I smile at her and interrupt her before she mentions Mr. Saunders. She laughs at me "okay then kiddo. See you later, good luck. I have to go get dressed"

I waved her goodbye as I grabbed my purse and jacket.

Maggie works at a publishing company and she runs the business around here. I just follow what she puts out, but maybe that should change soon. 

I took a taxi to Ryan's building and arrived right on time. I walked over to Nancy at the front desk and she smiled at me. "Well good morning Maddie. Mr. Saunders is excited to have you here"

I blushed and thanked her. While we were in the elevator Nancy smiled at me. "He likes you"

I looked at her with a confused face. "Yes. He likes you, I was just as surprised to hear of hi taking you out for coffee as I am sure you were when he suggested it" she laughed. 

"I'm sorry but who are you...?" I asked in the most polite way I could. 

She laughed as if it were obvious "I'm his sister. Nancy Saunders. I've known Ryan nearly his whole life and he's always been a hermit. Never liked people, give him a chance, though" she stopped and corrected herself "I mean, give the job a chance"

Finding out that she's his sister made me feel terrible about making fun of her awful lips. I chose to ignore her comment as I was already so nervous for my first day, not knowing what to expect.

I smile at her and thank her for everything. I knocked on his office door and he immediately responded with "WHAT?!" In the nastiest of tones. Ryan, mean? No! It can't be! I rolled my eyes before responding.