Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I stood there, feeling dumbfounded. One moment I was just enjoying a good amount of sleep on top of my personal breathing couch (which turned out to be Alex), and the next thing I knew Alex was now my boyfriend.

“You are?” both my Dad and I asked Alex at the same time. Pure confusion was written all over my father’s face and I knew that mine mirrored his.

“Of course, I am,” Alex said looking like it was the most obvious thing in the world. “Pancake, you just said yes to me hours ago,” he said with a sweet lovey-dovey look on his face; somewhere in the midst of the awkward situation, he managed to send me a look that says just-go-with-it-or-else-were-both-dead.

“Oh, yeah… Right,” I said laughing awkwardly. “I just can’t believe were finally together,” I lied putting on a sickly sweet smile and faced my Dad.

“Alex, this is Dad. Dad this is Alex Summers, he’s my boyfriend.” I said and topped it all off by wrapping my arms around Alex’ waist. I felt him tensed when I did, but still shook his hands and exchanged greetings with my Dad.

“Sky, when are you planning on telling me that you already have a new boyfriend?” my father asked as he faced me, putting both his hands on his waist.

“Right now?” I said but it sounded more like a question. “Yep, I was planning on telling you once you got home,” I lied trying to break the tension building in the room.

“Are you sure?” Dad asked with a look of question on his face. It was clear that he didn’t believe our lie completely, but who would? He left for a week and then he comes home and finds out that I already have a new boyfriend? Not even possible.

However at this point I couldn’t possibly take back what both Alex and I said, so I’m just going to have to wing it.

“Of course,” I said and then I looked up at Alex. “Right, babe?” I forced the words out of my mouth so obviously they sounded transparent, but then Alex lowered his arm and wrapped it around my waist, and then answered “Right.” — All complete with sparkling eyes and a sugary sweet smile. Perfect.

I turned my head to face my Dad and just as I expected, he still had that suspicious look on his face, but he didn’t have any other choice but to buy our lie.

“Okay,” Dad said slowly as he eyed Alex from head to toe. For a moment there I wanted to say ‘See, Dad? I have a great taste on guys’ seeing as how Alex looked perfect in the dim light. And the best part of it? I get to hug him as his right arm was draped over my waist. Maybe this idea wasn’t so bad after all.

“You kids better get some sleep,” Dad said as he made his way up the stairs. “Oh and Summers?” he turned around, looking right at Alex.

“Yes, sir?” he asked politely.

“No monkey business,” Dad said as his eyes hardened. Huh, I’m telling you Dad, he won’t even listen to a word you say.

“Yes, sir,” he said looking oh-so-innocent like he did when I told him that. Dad nodded his head in response and closed his room’s door behind him.

I breathed a sigh of relief and immediately removed my arms around Alex’ waist; his body relaxed slightly but there was still an obvious tensed feeling in him.

“Uh, Alex?” I whispered in the dark room as I felt a funny, fuzzy feeling in my stomach.

“Yes, Pancake?” he asked as he bent down slightly until our faces were at level with each other.