CH. 6: Dragomira

After two days of continuous journey without stopping, they finally reached the place. Both were already hungry. The first thing they did after they got out of the carriage was to find an innocent, unsuspecting victim that they could deprive of even the last drop of blood.

They were located in a small village on the outskirts of Toska. The Forest of the Dead was within sight. At first glance, it was obvious that the magic reigning in the forest also affected the village. It looked sad. Cursed. The silhouettes of houses swirled through the fine mist. A dead silence hung over the gloomy landscape. Not even the crickets were singing. Even the owls didn't hoot. Silence. The only sounds breaking the flood of silence were faint voices coming from the pub.

This village was nothing like the capital of Toska, Kilig. Here as if time had stopped.

When they entered the pub, all eyes turned to them. They were strangers in a land where no living soul had entered willingly. Everyone preferred to avoid the Forest of the Dead from afar. It was unusual for foreigners to visit there. People whispered to each other.

Dragomira and her father did not have time to gain the trust of these distrustful people. Dawn was getting dangerously close with each passing second. They immediately asked what they needed to know the answer to.

"We're looking for a witch named Sidonia." Dragomira's father spoke. "She should reside in these parts on the edge of the Forest of the Dead. Does anyone know where we could find her?'

People fell silent. There was dead silence. They exchanged worried glances. They obviously knew her or at least were aware of her presence. And they were obviously afraid of her.

"Why are you looking for her?" the elderly bartender dared to speak. "Only a fool would search for a witch. You don't know, I guess, what she is and what she can do?'

"We know, and that's why we're looking for her," said Ivan Ivanovich.

"In that case, you're already dead," said one of the men enjoying the pleasures of alcohol.

"We don't need your warnings," Dragomira snapped. " Supposedly, the witch is supposed to live here, on the edge of the Forest of the Dead. Do you know where she is or not?'

"And what will we get out of it if we tell you?" the bartender answered her with a question. "We don't want to turn that witch against us."

"Either turn her or us against you," said Ivan Ivanovich. "Either way, you seem to be bringing down the wrath of beings you don't want to feel."

Dragomira untied a bag of silver from her belt and threw it on the table. "This will be someone's who will lead us to her."

"Do you think we are stupid enough to sacrifice our lives for a few coins?" laughed the people sitting in the pub.

Dragomira was about to take the bag back, and that they were going to find the witch themselves, when a man stood up from the corner of the room. He looked young but gave the impression that life had taken its toll on him. His eyes were tired and sad. He had a resigned attitude.

"I'll take you to her," he said.

Dragomira and her father followed the brave young man to the Forest of the Dead. Rather than courage, however, he radiated defeat. As if he has no reason to live anymore, and therefore he is willing to enter the forest that everyone fears.

"What do they call you?" asked Ivan Ivanovich.

"Does it matter?" replied the unknown man.

"It matters," said Ivan Ivanovich.

"If you tell me your names, I'll tell you mine," said the man.

"That won't be necessary," said Dragomira.

"Don't you want someone to recognize you?" he gave them a questioning look.

"We could ask you the same question," said Ivan Ivanovich. "Why are you afraid of exposure?"

"I just know it's better if the nobility doesn't know your name," the man replied.

"What betrayed us?" Dragomira asked him.

"Normal people don't have that much silver to throw around," the man replied. "And besides, only the nobility is stupid enough to seek out a witch."

"Then why are you accompanying us?" Ivan Ivanovich asked him a question. "Isn't that just as stupid?"

The man squinted. He swallowed hard. "My family needs that silver. It would help us get out of here," he admitted his reasons.

They came to the edge of the forest. It looked scary. The trees stood at attention. The branches of the trees reached out like voracious ravens towards the dark heavens, desiring to devour them. A thick darkness rolled under the arched treetops. She distorted her gaze. Shadows seemed to move within her. They materialized from her and melted again into that milky veil.

"That's where the witch lives." the man pointed into the forest into the mist. "See those lights? That's the witch's house. Head to it. Just keep looking at those lights and don't get distracted or you'll never come back."

"You're not coming with us?" Dragomira looked at him suspiciously.

"I will not step into the forest," he said. "You only asked to show where the witch lives. That's what I did. Now silver." he reached for his reward.

Dragomira just rolled her eyes and threw the bag at him. It fell to the ground and he had to bend down before her if he wanted to take it. He was too insolent.

"You do realize that if it's a trap, we'll find you even if we don't know your name?" she told him ominously.

"She's a witch. Everything is a trap around her. So just look at those lights. Ignore the shadows and voices. It will seem like you've been walking for hours and you're still not getting any closer. The road is enchanted and you won't approach her house until she decides to meet you herself," said the man, turning his back to them and disappearing into the darkness of the night.

"After you." Dragomira gave her father a mischievous smile.

Ivan Ivanovich offered his daughter a shoulder, which she warmly accepted. They entered the Forest of the Dead. They only focused on the lights in front of them. There was a soft whisper calling them to each other through the forest. Dragomira had almost turned her attention to them. She slipped away from her father. Her palm slipped from his. She didn't even notice it was happening. With that, his palm found hers again and he turned her attention back to their destination. I have to focus, she told herself. I do this for Cassius.

They walked and walked toward their destination. With each step, Dragomira could feel them moving away from the open country they had come from, but they were not getting any closer to the witch's house.

Their fate was now in her hands, in her will, whether she would be willing to meet them or not.