Chapter 6: Secrets and Threats

Detective Lila Thompson held the small pendant in her hand, turning it over to examine the intricate design. The forensic team confirmed that it was linked to someone in Mayor Harriet Dawson's circle, but the connection wasn't yet clear. She knew that confronting the mayor would require finesse, given her political clout in Eldenwood.

Lila decided to meet Harriet at City Hall, hoping for some candid answers. As she walked through the grand building, she couldn't help but feel the weight of the investigation. The murder of Mr. Raymond Barrett had rattled the town, and everyone was on edge.

"Detective Thompson," Harriet greeted her with a warm, albeit tight, smile. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I'm here to ask about this pendant," Lila said, holding it up

"I'm here to ask about this pendant," Lila said, holding it up. "It was found at the crime scene, and it seems to be connected to someone in your circle."

Harriet's eyes narrowed, her smile fading. "I don't know anything about that. It's a common design. Plenty of people could have one."

Lila sensed the mayor was being evasive. "It was purchased recently from a local jewelry store. We have a record of the sale, and it leads back to someone close to you. Any thoughts on who that might be?"

Harriet's demeanor remained calm, but her gaze grew colder. "Detective, I run a town. I don't keep track of every piece of jewelry my associates buy. If you have more questions, I suggest you go through proper channels."

Lila knew she wouldn't get much more from Harriet. The mayor was skilled at deflecting questions and maintaining her composure. As Lila left City Hall, she felt a sense of frustration but also a renewed determination to uncover the truth.

Back at the police station, Lila met with Officer Ben Price to discuss the missing folder from Mr. Barrett's desk. It was supposed to contain documents related to a past scandal, but its contents remained unknown.

"I did some digging," Ben said, spreading out his notes. "There was a financial scandal at the school a few years ago. Some funds went missing, and it was covered up. Mr. Barrett was a teacher back then. If he had proof, it could explain why he was killed."

Lila took note of the information, her mind racing with possibilities. The missing folder could hold the key to the entire case, and if Mr. Barrett had uncovered the truth, it would give someone a strong motive for murder.

Just then, Lila received a call from Claire Barrett, Mr. Barrett's estranged sister. Claire sounded nervous, almost frantic. "Detective Thompson, I need to talk to you. It's about my brother. I remembered something."

Lila agreed to meet Claire at her apartment. When she arrived, Claire was pacing back and forth, her hands clenched tightly. "I found a note," she said, handing it to Lila. "It was in my brother's things. It's a warning. Someone told him to stop asking questions, or he'd regret it."

The note was brief but chilling

The note was brief but chilling. It confirmed that Mr. Barrett was digging into something that someone wanted to keep hidden. Lila knew this was a crucial piece of evidence, but it also meant that the investigation had just become more dangerous.

As Lila left Claire's apartment, she couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching her. The investigation was getting closer to the truth, but with each step, the risks grew. She had to be careful—both for her safety and for the safety of those around her.

------------------------------------------------------------- WRITER'S NOTE 

I have my exams starting soon so the next parts might be a bit delayed but hang on as there as going to be twists and turns very much unexpected by you'll in this story.

I'll try my best to write and upload whenever possible.