42✧Sunrise

There's a stream of light peaking through the curtains in my bedroom

There's a stream of light peaking through the curtains in my bedroom. I can hear the chirping of the birds outside. When I open my eyes and move my arm, I knock into Briar. I turn my body around and face her sleeping face.

It wasn't the first time I'd seen her sleeping. I move a piece of hair from her closed eyes as she takes a deep breath in her sleep.

And then I remember why she's here. The dread comes flooding back into my body. I wish I could stay in that very first moment of waking up and forgetting all about it. I wish admiring Briar was the only thing I had to do this morning.

I went straight to the hospital last night when I knew where Julian was staying. The doctors told me he took the brunt of the accident and that his injuries had resulted in him going in and out of consciousness. I barely got to talk to him. Eventually, they told me he needed lots of rest with his treatment and that I should come back the next day instead.

They did tell me my mother was conscious and that it was okay to visit her but there was no way in hell I could do it. I'm confident I would have lost my shit on her, especially when I wasn't able to get the full story from my unconscious brother.

I stay here in bed with Briar for a while, getting lost in the millions of thoughts crowding my mind before I finally decide to get up and get ready for the day. I try not to shift my bed too much so I don't disturb her in her sleep.

After washing up, my tired limbs drag through the house until I'm in the kitchen. I don't know what Briar usually eats for breakfast and I don't even think I have the appetite this morning. I make some eggs anyway.

I'm transferring the eggs onto a plate when I realize she's awake.

"Hey," Briar says shyly, inching towards the table. She tidied her hair into a braid that she let rest on one shoulder. She left a few strands of her blonde hair to frame her face.

"Morning." Her lips lift into a soft smile at my greeting. "I hope you like your eggs scrambled." I hope you even like eggs.

"Love 'em scrambled." Her face lights up a little. "But um, you don't have an extra toothbrush around here, do you?"

"Bathroom," I point back towards the hall. "Right cabinet under the sink."

"Okay, I'll be right back."

Briar is quiet when she comes back to the kitchen. Her face looks fresh like she splashed some cold water to wake herself up. However, the furrow in her brows and the teeth sunken into her bottom lip communicate something wrong.

"What's up?" I ask.

She blinks at me. "Just wondering how stupid it would be to ask if you're okay?"

I grip the edge of the counter behind me and let my hips fall back into it while I study her. "I figure I'm doing a lot better than I could have been... If you didn't show up, I mean."

She leans her head to the side as she studies me back. A short moment later she's walking towards me and doesn't stop until her arms are wrapped around me and sinks into my body. "I'll always show up for you." The tone of her voice vibrates through my chest. "You get that right?"

I drop my chin on top of her head before returning her embrace. "Yeah, I get that," I respond. Because I do get it. I'd show up for her every time. And after last night, I know she truly meant it.

"I tried to push you away last night," I spoke up after a moment of us sinking into each other's comfort. "I wasn't fair to you."

"Don't worry about that. What you're feeling must be extremely overwhelming. I get it."

"Briar," I give a little shove to my chest to make her lift her head and look at me. "You don't deserve to be talked to like that and I'm sorry I did, okay? Don't make excuses for people being assholes to you. I've apologized for doing something very similar to you before and I don't want you to think I'm making a habit of it. I just... let my emotions get the better of me sometimes, I guess."

She considered this as she looked into my eyes. It felt like she was studying my face forever until she finally spoke up again. "It... doesn't feel good to be talked to like that. I know you let your emotions get the better of you but... I want to be here for you. Just like you want to be here for me, right?"

I give a short nod of my head and she goes on. "It wasn't easy for me to open up to you. I was so scared of the way you'd react or what you would think of me or anything else my mind would tell me to keep it all in but... it all comes down to trust doesn't it? And I trust you."

My arms instinctively tighten around her waist. The same tightness feels like it's gripping around my heart. "Yeah, I trust you too, Briar."

She nods. "So if you don't want it to be a habit of pushing me away, then stop doing it. Because I'm making it a habit for you to deal with me. Even when things get tough."

I drag my knuckles over her jaw as I take in her words. "Good," I say after a short moment.

"Good?"

"Good." I let my face fall into hers and adjust my lips to hers. She doesn't hesitate to kiss me back.

Then her hands are moving up my chest to the back of my neck so she can bring me closer. I move my hands down her arms and around her waist again as our lips move in sync. I'm so lost in everything about her, her smell, the taste of her lips, the feel of her hands in my hair.

She slows down and I follow in her rhythm until she pulls back and rests her forehead on mine. And just like it happened in those first few moments of waking up, I almost forgot I had anything to worry about.

That's what this girl does. She takes me out of my mind in the best way. I think I liked that the most.

Without even thinking about it I reach up and give a single flick to my chest. She gives me a little smile and does that hard blink of confusion. "What does that mean?" she questions with a giggle.

I open my mouth and that's when my phone rings from my pocket. I don't take my eyes off that gentle smile as I reach into my back pocket to answer my phone.

"Yeah?" I answer. I didn't even check the Caller ID.

"Good morning, I was hoping to reach Roman Castro?"

"Speaking."

"Roman, this is Rebecca calling from Care Point Hospital. We're reaching out to inform you that your brother, Julius Castro is awake and ready for visitors this morning. I believe you were told to wait sometime before he received company? He seems to be doing much better today."

I let out a long breath before responding. "Thank you, Rebecca. I'll be there soon."

I slip the phone into my back pocket again and look at Briar. "Are you free today?"

"Yeah, I'm free."

"Will you come with me to the hospital?" I took the smile on her face as a response before her words ever came.

A/N: I hope my brain and skills let me complete this story by summer!! pray for me of ur real <3