Chapter 7 | Loving Company

Convincing him to let her carry even one bag was a struggle

The duo climbed out of her forest-green truck, which was parked beside her small cabin, nestled comfortably under its small personal canopy. 

She's known Lucifer for two weeks now. Every day she spent with him only strengthened their bond—a bond that was one of a kind. His flirting wasn't just an act but a part of a personality only she got to experience.

It brightened her day to be with him. Was it such a good idea to fall for a man so quickly?

Walking around her truck, she met him on the other side. He clutched two bags of clothes, one of them his and the other belonging to her. His chocolate eyes brightened at the sight of her- his eyebrows relaxing.

She glanced up at him before walking ahead. The couple climbed up her small porch and approached the tall wooden door—creaky but standing proudly.

River unlocked it- her back tingling with the knowledge that his warm figure stood behind her.

The wooden cabin was fully set up with all her furniture, and she recently bought new decorations to make the place more homely. 

She wanted to accept the rainforest inside... partially.

The cabin feel was soothing. It felt like a grandmother's home, where she could relax knowing it was clean, loved, and prepared just for her.

"This cabin suits you more than that bokö..." He commented with a hum, his language rolling off the tongue.

He's been slipping out more of this unknown language for the past few days.

It didn't sound like anything she'd ever heard before. The words were pronounced roughly, but they had a smooth melody, like a river's fluidness. She wanted to ask him about it... but she felt far too nervous.

Her platinum ponytail swayed as she walked inside, "Who?" She set her purse on a small table behind the beige couch.

Lucifer reached and set the two shopping bags on the couch. He gently set his hands on her shoulders, "My close friend's younger brother." He explained, "He..." Strangely, his gaze glanced elsewhere as it hardened. It was as if he was searching for an explanation.

"... He's not that great." The tan man swallowed and made eye contact with her.

That explained Marcus' behaviour when she first entered the gated community. He called him a brat- and she remembers his face scrunching up as if he smelt something horrible.

Humming, Lucifer tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Thank you for inviting me, princess," he rumbled.

A furious blush spread across her cheeks. She may never get used to his subtle flirting.