ch-22 (veer)

Sitting on my study chair, I punched in the number for the office .

the line connected, "Is it done?" I demanded.

The voice on the other end hesitated for a moment before responding, "Not yet, sir. We're still facing some complications."

My grip on the phone tightened, "Complications?" I repeated, "I gave you a deadline, and I expect it to be met. No excuses."

"We're doing everything we can, sir," he said.

I took a deep breath, "What exactly is the issue now?" I asked.

My team member explained the problem, and I could see why they were facing difficulties. It was a complex task, and I had given them a tight deadline of 11 pm. I knew that my team was capable of completing it, but it seemed like the unexpected technical issues were causing delays.

I leaned back in my chair and closed my eyes, taking a moment to gather my thoughts.

"Alright, I understand the issue now," I said calmly. "take a step back and re-evaluate the plan."

My team member hesitated before responding, "Well, we could try breaking down the task into smaller parts and assigning them to different team members. This way, we can work simultaneously and possibly finish earlier."

"fine" I replied. "go with that plan. And for the technical issues, I'll get our IT department to look into it and see if they can come up with a solution."

i glanced at clock 10:40 pm "Just finish in 1.5 hours now," I instructed firmly, "I've expanded the deadline. I will come to the office now to coordinate with the IT department."

After hanging up, I swiftly gathered my blazer and headed out the door.

"Kahan jaa rahe ho itni raat ko, Veer?" my father asked sitting on sofa in hall.

"Office ja raha hoon, dad," I replied, "There are some urgent matters that need my attention."

My mother looked up from her magazine, "Sab theek toh hai na, beta?" she asked.

"Han maa, sab theek hai," I assured her before making my way towards the door.

Upon reaching the office, I quickly made my way to the IT department, where I found the team huddled around a computer, trying to resolve the technical issues. I rolled up my sleeves and joined them, lending a helping hand wherever needed.

Finally, at exactly 12:24 AM, it was done. The project that had caused so much stress and tension was now completed successfully.

"Well done, team," I praised, despite the fact that it was partly the team's fault that the project had encountered difficulties.

The team nodded in agreement, already mentally preparing to delve into the details of what went wrong and how to improve.

With the project successfully completed and the team's efforts duly acknowledged, I decided it was time to head back home.

************

The next morning, after getting ready I glanced at the clock and realized it was already late. Rushing downstairs, I found my family gathered in the living room, discussing something with Pandit ji.

"Kya chal raha hai?" I asked.

Pandit ji looked up and smiled, "Beta, hum bas aapki aur Aahna ki shaadi ki tareekh final kar rahe hain."

Aahna's parents nodded in agreement, and my parents exchanged a knowing look.

"Veer, tumhari koi preference hai tareekh mein?" my mother asked, looking at me.

I shook my head, "Kuch bhi chalega, maa."

Pandit ji consulted his calendar and made calculations.

After a few minutes of deliberation, Pandit ji looked up with a smile, "Humne tareekh nikal di hai. Shaadi ka muhurat bahut hi shubh hai. Tum logon ke liye 5 may bahut accha hai."

Aahna's family exchanged a glance and nodded in agreement, and my parents smiled approvingly.

"5 may it is then," my father said and I nodded in agreement. Marriage was never part of my plans, but aahna was always in my plans so it felt right.

I looked at Aahna, "Is that date okay with you?" I asked, trying to gauge her reaction.

she nodded eagerly. "Yes, Veer! That's fine" she exclaimed.

As we all settled down, I sat in my room with rudra, maintaining my composed demeanor. Rudra nudged me lightly.

"Kya soch raha hai, Veer?" Rudra asked.

I glanced at him, "Bas, yeh shaadi and all," I replied in a low tone.

Rudra raised an eyebrow, his protective brother mode activated. "What? Terko sochna pad ra hai? Terko meri bhen milti hai aur terko sochna pad ra hai," he said, half-jokingly half serious.

"Not at all, Rudra," I began, "Aahna ke saath, kuch bhi sochna padhta hi nahi hai. She's been a part of my plans for so long, it's like she's always been there, you know? Marrying her isn't even a question; it's just the natural progression of things. I never had to think twice about it because with her, everything just feels right. Aahna is not just someone; she's a part of me, Rudra. And that's why I don't have to think about anything when it comes to marrying her. It's like breathing; effortless and essential."

"I get it, Veer," he said, "Just take care of her, alright? She's my sister, and I won't tolerate anything less than the best for her."

I nodded and he looked at me again raising his eyebrow, "ek minute, how she's has been a part of your plan for so long? You barely talked to her in our gatherings"

I shrugged, Rudra's eyes narrowed, "No, no, no, ab tu yeh mat boliyo that you have been in love with my sister for all these years," he said.

"Come on, Rudra, don't overthink it," I said, trying to change the subject. "Let's focus on making sure everything goes smoothly for the wedding."

Rudra grunted in agreement, but I could tell he wasn't completely satisfied.