Chapter Eleven - Memories

Thomas' PoV

Being in this house was nice. Being with Minho and Newt and my actual family was so so nice. But as I lay awake in my bed, staring at the ceiling, I couldn't hold back the trickle of anxiety flowing throughout my body. 

I wanted to believe I was safe. Truly, I did. But it seemed almost too good to be true. I kept thinking about when WICKED pretended we were rescued just to throw us into another Test. I remember my heart shattering when I realized we weren't safe. 

I look to my side and see Newt and Minho sleeping peacefully, minus a few shifting grunts and quiet snores. I had to protect them. I failed to protect Newt once, I couldn't fail again. I just couldn't, especially when everything seemed so good right now. 

I failed the Gladers and I'll never fully forget how awful it truly was. I shifted onto my side so I could stare at the shanks sleeping on my floor, wrapped in soft blankets and on equally as comfortable cots. 

Newt mumbled something and turned away, his blonde locks tangled from his movement. I smiled and I felt it in my heart right then and there; Newt and Minho would be safe if it was the last thing I did. 

They deserved this happiness, this family. They deserved it a hell of a lot more than I did. With that thought in my mind, I shift back to face the ceiling, my mind slowing down. I could feel my eyes drooping and the dreariness in my limbs. 

The blankets were soft. Stiles had brought the three of us these things called 'weighted blankets'. He did research and found that weighted blankets are helpful for anxiety and PTSD. It helps keep us grounded and is comforting and reduces anxiety, he said. 

Stiles ranted about studies done in 2006, 2008, and even 2012 about the therapeutic benefits for a while. Minho said it sounded dumb, but still uses his. Fondness bubbles in my chest as I remember our conversation. I smiled at the feeling of the weight on my body. Stiles tried to find ones that were heavy enough for us, and we all pretended that we didn't see his face; which was red from exerting energy lifting the heavy blankets. 

My eyelids finally lose their final strength and slip closed. And soon, I found myself drifting into a slumber with the feelings of happiness and protection lingering just a bit longer. 

417 words.

A/N! 

Hey, y'all! I'm sorry this one's a little short, but I wanted to post something and I thought a sweet moment would be a good idea. I'm trying to work on how I want this story to go, and I really hope you're enjoying it! 

The studies referred to in the chapter are real, I did research on the medical benefits of weighted blankets to add, I thought it was a perfect little touch. So yeah! Love you all, and thank you for reading. See you next time! <3

- Vanilla