○ Chapter 06 ○

I could hear the church bells tolling somewhere far away in the distance. Breathing heavily, I tried to widen my eyes even further but to no avail. My vision was blurry and the panic was starting to seep within me.

All my senses were getting dull and low and I couldn't understand what was happening. I was unable to move my limbs but somehow I managed to bring them in front of my eyes. I couldn't make out my hands as tears started rolling down my cheeks.

The bells were now ringing vehemently and I could feel my head throbbing with its incessant noise. I wanted to voice out my concern only to find out that I couldn't speak either.

A sob wreaked through my chest as I felt helpless. I couldn't see, I couldn't move my body and I couldn't speak as well. Was it a nightmare or was it my reality? Even that question seemed heavy for my brain.

It was as if I was outside the realm of any basic human understanding. The ringing of the bells wouldn't stop, making me cry harder.

“Open the door, Kris!” An indistinct feminine voice screamed.

Where was it coming from? I couldn't tell. Just when I thought that this dream couldn't get any worse, there was someone banging on something. It sounded urgent but why?

One loud bang and I jerked open my eyes with an unnaturally fast heartbeat. Blinking my eyes, I saw where I was. I was still lying in my living room and my TV was still blaring something that I didn't pay any attention to.

I gasped when my doorbell started ringing as if it sounded… urgent? Urgent!

It was all a nightmare!

“Open the door, Kris! Open it, damn it!” And the banging was back on. It was Jessica!

“Please, Kris! If you're in there, please open the door!” This time, it was Ryan who spoke.

I was beginning to get all my bearings back as I shouted a quick “coming” before I hastily made my living room look a little less… shabby. I just kicked everything under the couch and went to open the door. I could only imagine what a mess I looked like.

The moment I unlocked the door, it flew open before I even had the chance to do it myself. I quickly stepped aside to not get hit by it. However, all my thoughts took a backseat when Jessica pulled me in for a hug. From over her shoulder, I saw Ryan sporting a relieved look.

What was happening?

“Oh, my God, Kris, you scared me to death today,” Jessica muttered as she broke the hug.

“Me too,” Ryan said, frowning.

I hadn't noticed them before because of their short stature but Mr. and Mrs. Brown came forward with their signature scowls. “Learn to live like a lady, Reese,” Mrs. Brown spat before the couple walked downstairs.

“I swear, she's been disturbing us a lot lately,” Mr. Brown threw over his shoulder before they both disappeared from my vision.

I didn't have the energy to be embarrassed in front of Ryan so I just passed a small smile to my friends and invited them both inside. “Sorry about that. They just don't like me for some reason,” I explained to them.

They were both uncannily silent now and it was very strange of them to just show up at my apartment. When they sat down on my couch awkwardly, I decided to ask them what was the matter.

“What's going on, guys?” I chuckled nervously.

Jessica's brows furrowed and she looked at me like I was crazy. “Are you feeling well?” She didn't even wait for my answer and put her hand on my forehead. “You have a fever.” She gasped softly and looked at me with concern etched on her features.