6 - Jasmine

☆

☆.。.:*

The X-ray department is weirdly quiet, which is both a blessing and a curse. I had no idea when I woke up from fainting that the doctor would be August. I'm fucking relieved, though, and never have I thought that fate might be a thing, but here we are.

It's just so damn awkward. Especially after the small weird disagreement over me using a wheelchair. Despite me refusing it as I can walk, he insisted because I'd passed out earlier. In the end, the medical advice from him won over. The disagreement reminded me of a married couple or something.

He was right, though. I'm fucking exhausted.

"Do you want me to call anyone for you? Friend, parents, uh... partner?" August stammers.

The last bit is clearly him trying to start the conversation we need to have.

I shake my head. "No, I'll be fine. My friend, Blake, was way too drunk. I have no partner." This is so fucking awkward; I know he's asking not because he's a doctor, but for himself. I don't mind that, either, but it's still awkward.

August nods. "The blood results should be back when we're done here. They usually take an hour."

"Do you think I was spiked? As a doctor and all. I feel fine now, just exhausted." I stare at the waiting room around us. 

Three other people are here; a small child with his parents and a woman looking in her twenties or thirties sitting on her own. She hasn't any obvious signs of injury, but that's the thing. Sometimes an injury isn't obvious because it's inside. Just because someone looks okay to the world doesn't mean they are. They could be hiding something sinister, a secret illness, much like Josh.

"I don't know," August says. "We'll wait for the tests to come back. I don't like speculating."

I nod. "Fair."

We fall silent. It's both awkward and comfortable – what do you even say to someone you know you have a connection and chemistry with, but ignored for six months? Even though my ignoring him had nothing to do with him and everything to do with Josh. Somehow, despite the still jarring pain in my wrist and exhaustion, I want to instantly pick up where we left off that morning and take him to bed. Maybe a date first, but still. I want to kiss him, but I can't. That's the worst part of it all. Maybe he hates me for what I did; he's too professional right now to read.

"I heard Josh got charged," August whispers. "They wouldn't tell me any more, other than they didn't need me to testify."

My mouth opens for a second, but nothing comes out. My mind has been ignoring that damn shitty time since it finished. I vowed to myself never to think about Josh again, but sometimes the mind slips, the veil is pulled away and he's there. I've only just been okay to go to a club again or walk at night on my own.