FIRST STAGE

Thursday, 4th of September 2031

I am one of the lucky ones. I got to sit in my car, turn on the heating and drive to work while many can't. No, not because they don't have a car, but because they can't take it anymore, at least according to the new law. I felt bad as I watched the swarm of people rushing through the streets for the first time, all sweaty and impatient, some catching the bus, some running for the metro, some brave enough to cycle, and then I scolded myself for caring that much. They will survive.

I got my nails done today, a bright purple this time. It matches my new Louis Vuitton shoes. Martha, the woman who was supposed to do my nails was late. She had to walk all the way from her house due to the new law, she said. I am very lucky that my job is far enough and that I am allowed to take my car, she said. I smiled and reassured her it was okay, but when I pushed the door open to leave, I knew I wouldn't step foot in that shop again.

To be honest, I like it more this way. The roads were wide open, there was less traffic, less loud drivers ruining my morning. The air was sweeter, the birds audible, and a slower pace settled in the city. But I guess others might hold a different opinion.

Humans are funny. They really thought paper straws would save them. How naive of them. I can't wait to see what their reaction will be when they realise that this is only the beginning. Because there will be new laws coming, and I fear they won't like them at all.