Rough Shift

(7 years old)

     I was sat watching a movie with Will on the couch when a tired and upset looking Jay came in the apartment. He put his keys down on the counter as I watched him go to his bedroom. Not saying a word to my redheaded brother and I. I felt kind of hurt he didn't even as much as lock eyes with me for a second, but I rubbed it off and continued to watch a movie with Will.

     The movie eventually ended and it was time for me to go to bed. So I ran into my room, Will following me and covered myself up. Will gave me a kiss on the cheek and said goodnight to me.

     "What about Jay?" I asked before Will left.

     "What about him?" He asked me.

     "Is he going to come say goodnight to me?" I continued the questions.

     "Listen." Will said as he came over and sat beside me on the other side of my bed. "Jay didn't have too good of a day today ok? And he needs some time alone for a little bit."

     "Ok." I answered sadly. "Is he ok?"

     "Jay is going to be just fine. Now I need you to go to bed for me now ok?" Will clarified with me as he kissed the top of my head.

     "Ok." I said not clearly understanding what was happening.

     "Thank you n'night." Will whispered leaving my bedroom.

     "N'night." I returned drifting off to sleep.

(1:13 am)

     I woke up to the noise of someone in the kitchen. I heard a few glasses clanking together, and then one being placed onto the counter. I slowly got out of bed and walked slowly out to the kitchen and living area. It was pitch black in the hallway, so I couldn't see much. But I made it to the kitchen where the lights underneath the cupboards were on. I squinted as my eyes adjusted to the light, and I looked to see who was up.

     "Jay, Jay?" I asked him as he turned around to meet my droopy and tired eyes.

     "Bri what are you doing up?" He asked quietly, putting his glass down and walking over to me.

     "I heard some noise out here." I said as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes.

     "Oh, I'm sorry for waking you up kid." Jay apologized picking me up and sitting me on the counter top.

     "No it's ok." I yawned.

     "C'mon let's get you back in bed." He said lifting me back down and grabbing my hand.

     "Jay are you ok?" I asked as we reached my room and I climbed into my bed.

     "Ya, I'm ok kiddo. What got you asking?" He asked me covering me up.

     "Will said you were upset, and that's why you didn't come and say goodnight to me tonight." I said.

     "Well, I didn't have a very good shift today. We lost a lot of people today, and we couldn't save them. And we lost someone important to our district, especially to Erin." He said as he lied onto his side beside me on my bed, resting his head on my other pillow.

     "Oh. I'm sorry." I said as I hugged him still lying down.

     "It'll be ok. Thanks though." He yawned as his eyes closed. He was still holding me as I was still hugging him.