15.

I exit the elevator, Mr. Hayes following behind me. His keys jingling in his hand. "Do you need a ride," he says politely before clearing his throat and looking at me expectantly.

I shake my head sheepishly, though I can't help but notice the tiny flutters of butterfly wings inside my stomach. "Thank you, but I am going to walk."

"It's raining," he cocks his head and looks at me blankly.

"I know," I smile and shrug, "I like the rain."

His eyes stay trained on me, curiously. His eyebrows knitted together as I give him a curt nod before turning towards the exit.

I push on the giant rotating glass doors, stepping into the crisp winter air. The cement glistens, drops of rain forming ripples in the puddles below. I hold my arms close to my chest, engulfing myself in the warmth of my coat as I side-step a puddle. Cars zoom by, sending waves of water over the edge of the sidewalk. Pulling my hood over my head I take in the the muffled sound of droplets hitting the fabric on the crown of my head. Reaching my hands out, I feel the raindrops dancing on the palms of my hands.

"Stand there too long and we will be late," I hear Mr. Hayes voice. I whip around to see him standing in the rain beside me, a barely noticeable smile noticeable in the glimmer of his eye.

"I thought you were driving," I say, surprise evident in my voice.

He looks at me blankly with an unreadable expression before stepping in front of me nonchalantly.

We walk side-by-side down the city street. I do my best to keep up with his long stride, though I'm suddenly keenly aware of just how short my legs are. The silence is comfortable, only broken by the sound of cars passing by and rain tapping on the world around us. The glow of the headlights fades into the fog, and I'm suddenly transported into the set of a hallmark movie set against the backdrop of a rainy winter in New York. I don't notice the numbness of my fingers anymore, nor do I feel the cold air turning my nose Rudolph red. I'm comfortably uncomfortable as I move one foot in front of another.

The sound of Mr. Hayes footsteps beside me pull me out of my trance of childlike wonder. I look over at him and can't help but giggle, "Your hair is soaking wet," I laugh as I take in his appearance. His mop of hair sits in a ruffled mess, a stark contrast from his usual perfectly slicked back look. It was almost as if the rain had washed way his brooding exterior and I was seeing him for the first time.

He looks at me blankly before reaching over and pulling my hood off my head, "I guess that makes two of us then." I instantly feel the rain collecting in my curls and rolling down my cheeks. I meet his gaze, a smile so obviously growing across my face.

"You think I'm scared of a little rain?" I say as I slip off my coat and throw my arms outward, spinning in a circle. I fall back in step with him, looking at Mr. Hayes with mischievous satisfaction. A deep chuckle escapes his mouth as he gently shakes his head, his eyes still stuck on me.

"This feels like a challenge," he says deeply before moving to slip his arms out of his coat. We walk side by side in the downpour, his expensive suit collecting water like a sponge and my inexpensive dress slowly turning into a dish rag. We walk in silence, I seal my lips in an attempt to hide the smile growing. I turn my head ever so slightly, trying to catch a glimpse of him in my peripheral. My eyes snap forwards as soon as I see his gaze shift my direction.

A feeling of subtle disappoint sinks into my chest as we round the corner and see the grand doors at the entrance of Feu et Pluie.

The gaudy gold doors are practically fifteen feet tall, maybe more. Seems excessive if you ask me. Intricate engravings create an image that could be something straight out of the Louvre. I stand there studying the giant exquisite doors in front of me, "Do you think midgets live here? Or is it just a home for peasants?" I say sarcastically. I give myself internal kudos when see him stifle a laugh.

He reaches forward, pulling the grand door open for me. I am suddenly very aware of my, or should I say our, appearance. I look down at my blue dress, so saturated with water it's turned an ugly shade of navy blue. At this point I'm too afraid to even imagine what my hair and make-up look like, but I know its safe to say that in this moment I am no beauty queen. I turn to Mr. Hayes who is waiting with the door held open, "Just so you know, if anyone asks I am going to tell them you pushed me into a puddle," I say quietly before stepping inside. He chuckles as he follows close behind, shutting the door behind him, making a slamming noise that echoes throughout the giant hall.

The smile is wiped off my face as soon as I look up at the room full of well dressed men and women, all of whom have turned their attention to Mr. Hayes and I. I stand there mortified while he casually steps forward and clears his throat, "Apologies for the delay," he says confidently, "My assistant pushed me into a puddle." His eyes hold a glimmer that I know no one else understands. I let out a stifled laugh that I know sounds more like a snort. Awkward silence fills the room full of people so clearly not entertained by their post-sea world CEO.

"Okay, well," he speaks up once more, "Where are we at with the layout?"

The team springs into action instantly. Talk of symphony seating, table placement and cocktail menus fill the giant hall. Women shove color palettes in front of Mr. Hayes eyes, he points at one and right then another appears in front of him as if there is a never ending list of decision to be made. I fade into the background realizing I have absolutely no idea why I am supposed to be at this meeting.

I find my way to the side of the room. Outside of the chaos, I admire the extraordinary details of everything from the grand chandelier down to the gold door hinges. I picture the symphony playing, the sound of the violin echoing throughout the hall while women in silky gowns glide across the marble floors. I hear the sound of glasses clinking as men in expensive suits raise their glasses overflowing with expensive champagne. I try to see myself in the center of it all. I imagine waltzing with Jackson as he struggles to keep up. I feel the sway of the music, the mumble of a crowd entranced by my grace and poise. No drunk men shouting obscenities, just gentle eyes following me as I move swiftly across the hall. No dollar bills littering the scuffed up floor, just tiny drops of champagne left on the white marble. No stench of smoke filling the room, just expensive perfume and fresh flowers creating a sweet aroma. Then I see myself  locking eyes with Mr. Hayes from across the room, he stands alone one hand held out as if asking me to dance

"Lillian," a voice pulls me out of my daydream, I turn to see Mr. Hayes looking at me from the other side of the hall, surrounded by a mob of men and women in a frenzy, his hand outstretched as he gestures to come in his direction. I quickly pull myself together as I walk towards him.

"Can you do a walk through with Amanda and take note of anything unfinished or any final details that need to be hammered out," his voice comes out distracted as his eyes hyper focus on the paperwork in his hands. I can practically hear the stress in his tone. "Once you are done you are welcome to head out early, I am going to be here later than I had expected."

I nod my head and mouth thank you in response before finding my place next to Amanda, who is running around like a chicken with her head cut off.

I pride myself on my good handwriting but Amanda's speed talking leaves no room for decent penmanship. I scribble notes as she rattles off lists and requests so fast I loose my ability to walk, write, and think at the same time. 

"Please have Mr. Hayes finalize his choice of floral arrangements for the staff gifts. The florists need his preferences by the end of the day," she says nonchalantly. "Oh, and please have someone cross reference the RSVP list with the seating cards," she adds. I nod my head intently as I scribble feverishly, my pen moving across the paper so fast my eyes can barely keep up.

After an hour of attempting to keep up with Amanda's endless lists of to-do's, I find myself at the giant front doors once again. I slip my coat over my shoulders, pulling my hood over my head. A gentle smile tugs at the corners of my lips as feel my hair, still wet from the walk here. As I step outside a shiver runs down my spine, the air feels colder than before and somehow the city doesn't feel quiet as beautiful this time. I wrap my arms around my chest and trudge back to the office, listening to the sound of raindrops crashing on the world around me.