Episode 16: A Fork in the Road

After the Second War of Western Aggression, the Duke of Burgundia was nearly supplanted. Only the divine intervention of Imperial Exemplar Aigner I saved him. Aigner proclaimed that God chose Duke Ferdinand V and his family as the rulers of Burgundia. They were of Alexander's blood, appointed by the Supreme Emporer himself.

King Marius VII, his men tired and his lords bankrupted by years of vigorous campaigns, capitulated. The King had declared war on the Duchy of Burgundia–not the West Duchies as a nation. Duke Frederick III started the war, so the other Dukes accepted the Alexandrians' defensive retaliation. They would not, however, accept a foreign puppet as Master of Ottoburg. To avoid reigniting the war, King Marius withdrew from Burgundia and, never having refuted the Imperial Exemplar during his time, unwittingly left a lingering religious precedent. If Dukes could be divinely appointed, then what about counts, barons, and High Lords? Many noble families can trace their lineage to Alexander and his descendants. Soon, the Holy Order itself debated these questions and fractured into sects.

Many scholars hail the Great Schism of 977 A.D. as the final omen of Delorian degeneration.

—Brother Donnman, of the Holy Order, "A Brief History of the Western Kingdom." 1531 A.D.

"How are you feeling?" Rose asked as she lifted a patch of hair and inspected his scalp. "The swelling has gone down drastically."

Augustus scooted his back up the wall of their wagon, sliding between his blankets and sitting up. "I'll be fine." The smell of roasted rabbit and boiling herbs filled his awakening senses. His stomach growled. "Is Dorri cooking again?"

"She is," Rose confirmed as her fingers worked their way to the bandage over Gus' brow. Moving it to the side sent a tremble of pain through his skull. He flinched. "There's going to be a tiny little scar." She applied ointment to the wound and replaced his bandage with a fresh one. "Guess what? Skiggi trapped a few rabbits. Camping by the farm was a good idea." Rose sat back on her heels, crouching on the wagon bed. "You're just full of good ideas, aren't you?"

Gus peeked over the wagon's edge and searched their campsite for horns or hooves. "Is he still here?"

Rose nodded. "Gathering wood with Skiggi. He's been a big help, you know? The little guy's got a lot of heart–refuses to leave your side. I might even like him if he'd stop being so annoying."

"He'll be gone soon enough." Augustus leaned his head back and observed the rays of light breaking through the canopy of the little wood. It's time to go, he confirmed. We're a day's ride from Ottoburg. The city is too dangerous to stay in. I have to move quickly. However, I dread hiking across the Plains of Milanis alone, in the heart of winter. There will be deserters and robbers, starving refugees, and patrols. A riverboat straight to the coast was sounding good to him. But the Temple will watch the waterways more closely than ever.

Gus wrestled out of the wagon and limped to their campfire. Dorri regarded him with a smile. "It'll be done in a minute!"

He sat cross-legged, peering into the dancing flames. "Will you be ready to perform when we reach Ottoburg?" Rose approached their fire and sat beside him.

Gus didn't reply.

"Look at him!" Dorri filled the silence. "He'd be more likely to scare the crowd away!" she giggled. Her eyes met Gus', then darted back to the cauldron of bubbling soup. Her smile vanished. "Sorry."

"It's not so bad!" Rose scoffed. "Remember when that Colechester kicked Skiggi in the face and flattened his nose?" She chuckled. "He performed that very night." She placed a hand on Gus' shoulder. "Skiggi's nose has never been the same, but you'll heal up just fine. You'll be just as pretty as ever, lordling." Gus didn't engage. He simply stared into the fire. Rose's hand slid off his shoulder. "You face one little beating, and you fall to pieces. Typical lordling." She sighed, stood, and stalked off toward the wagon.