Chapter Three: It's like moving out, but with no drama

"We'll text you every eight in the evening and eight in the morning," mom said when we got in my cabin.

We sat down on the bunk bed. There were two bunk beds inside the cabin. I chose the one located near the window and got on top of it. "Why eight? You can text me anytime," I said. The mattress was hard. This was going to be difficult than I thought.

"Because you're not allowed to use the phone until those given time," dad was the one who answered.

I jerked up and looked at them. "No kidding?" I asked in all seriousness.

"Why are we going to kid? Of course it is not. Eight to eight-thirty am or pm. That's the only time you can use your phone. As you can see, no TV in this room as well," mom pointed out.

I looked around and she was right. Meaning, no gadgets during my stay here. Oh goodness.

Suddenly, the noisy screen door was yanked open and a black haired girl entered. "Oh, hi," she greeted. Mom and dad greeted her back. "I'm Yuan, nice to meet you..." she trailed off.

"Riley. Her name's Riley," mom said.

"Cool name. Her first time?" Yuan asked.

"Yeah. So you're going to be roomies?" mom asked more. She's acting like she's the one going to stay here.

"Yeah. And this is my third time. Don't worry, mom of Riley. This camp is the best." She looked to me. "You should get out and meet the others. They are all arriving," she said more specifically to me.

I humped and lay back down again. "No, thanks. I think I'll stay here," I answered.

"Honey, I think it'd be best-"

"Just go," I said to them, not even bothering to look.

"We'll call and text you," dad said, giving my hand a light squeeze.

"Yeah, sure."

The reason I wasn't looking to them was because there were tears rolling down the side of my face. It only dawned on me that I had to spend two months here. If I couldn't get anyone involved with my plan, then this would just be the boring one.

I heard the screen door open and close. Here's to the start of my boring summer.

"Looks like you don't want to be here," Yuan said.

"Obviously. They forced me. I hate it here," I said. I turned my back on her and looked outside the window.

It wasn't on my plan to join any activities in this camp or even meeting people. I lost two of my best friends just this month and I didn't want to deal with any more drama. The dose of friends that I had was enough for me to last a lifetime. Considering all the friends I had, I think Liana was the only one left. I couldn't even consider her as a best friend because we only talk sometimes.

"You know, if my parents drove me all the way here and made sure that they'll call me, I'd give them a hug." I thought Yuan already left.

"They're not saints. They'll surely forget what they said here. They're usually out because of work and I wouldn't be surprised if they forget," I said. I sat up and turned to face her. "Are you Chinese or something?" I asked out of curiousity.

"Half only. But I grew up in Cali, so I don't know any Chinese words," she said. She peered outside the window then smiled. "We should meet the others. Come on. Let's make your first stay here a memorable one."