A Detective Team

"Ah... So the headmage asked you to investigate."

   You nod at Riddle's words. You sit on one of the couches in the Heartslabyul dorm foyer. The others gather around you as you told them how Crowley got you to look into the strange accidents.

   "I knew it." Cater grins. "Grim coming by for a get well visit? That's just plain sus."

   "I must admit that I found the circumstances odd as well." Riddle puts a hand to his chin. "I've had Cater looking into it for me."

   "And I found out that all of the victims have been talented players like Riddle and Trey." Cater gestures to the Housewarden.

   "To be clear, it wasn't as if I had been pushed, or that I had tripped." Riddle adds. "But I did feel a peculiar sensation, like... my body was moving of its own volition."

   Grim's ears perk up. "The other victims said basically the same thing!"

   "I believe we can safely surmise that potential Spelldrive tournament players are being targeted." Riddle concludes.

   Ace tilts his head. "You think someone is causin' accidents to take out threats from the tournament?"

   "The whole world will be watching." Riddle confirms. "A good performance can make a player's whole career. It's no surprise that some would resort to underhanded methods to even the odds."

   "Sure, but it doesn't make much sense." Cater scratches his head. "I mean, you'd know if you got pushed off the stairs by a gust of wind magic or somethin', right?"

   Riddle nods. "Certainly. I felt no external force."

   "And some of the other victims had accidents in the classroom!" Cater exclaims. "How do you explain that?"

   You puzzle over everyone's words, wondering the same thing. Riddle folds his arms, a determined look on his face.

   "The culprit can tell us all about it when we capture him. And we intend to help you do that."

   "Myah? YOU'RE gonna help us?" Grim narrows his eyes. "What's your angle?"

   Cater puts a hand to his chest. "You offend us, sir. One of our housemates was injured, why wouldn't we help him find justice?"

   "We're all house-buds here." Ace sitting next to you, wraps an arm around your shoulder. "Count us in."

   Deuce stands from his spot on the chair. "He's gonna pay for what he did to Trey!"

   Riddle tilts his head. "You two seem awfully enthusiastic about this."

   "Ahhh." Cater smirks at the two. "I get it. You're running for that open spot on our team, aren't you?"

   Ace lets out a sheepish laugh, rubbing the back of his neck. "Was it that obvious?"

   Deuce waves his arms. "N-no! That had nothing to do with it! I just want to avenge our housemate!"

   Riddle rolls his eyes and sighs. "Fine... Your performance during the investigation will be taken into account."

   Ace and Deuce both fist pump with huge grins on their faces. You shake your head but still smile at the two's overly excitement.

   "Now, if we're going to apprehend this culprit, we need to stay a step ahead of him." Riddle puts a hand to his chin in thought.

   Grim tilts his head. "And we're gonna do that HOW, exactly?"

   "By predicting which student will be targeted next and covertly following him." Riddle grins determinedly. "Should the culprit strike, we will protect the target and then immediately pursue the attacker."