Puzzle Pieces.

Maya~

Stirring the pot of noodles and sauce, the door unlocks and the steps get louder than quieter. I notice a few lights turn on, "Maya?"

"Yeah?"

I turn to him, "I didn't expect you to be here."

"I figured you'd want to sleep in your bed tonight."

"You saw?"

"You didn't think I would?"

He shrugs it off, "Sorry I didn't pick up. I didn't want anything to be taken out on you."

"Oh, I figured you were flying."

He shakes his head, "Well, if you're hungry, there's plenty."

He nods, "Thanks."

I pull out my phone after taking two bowls out of the cupboard. He takes one of the bowls as I answer a few texts from some coworkers about an upcoming blood drive.

"Are you coming?" he asks, standing next to the couch.

He didn't seem like he wanted company so I feel a bit out of place. But maybe he does. Perhaps he's just trying to accept it all. "Yeah."

I put a couple of scoops into my bowl before grabbing a drink from the fridge. He's got the TV set up for our show. He sets his bowl on the coffee table.

I watch him squint in pain, trying to simply sit on the couch. "I brought my heating pad if you want it."

He shakes his head, "It's fine."

I hand him his bowl but I don't let go. He looks up at me, "You're clearly in pain. Let me help."

He sighs, "Okay."

I let go of his bowl and set mine on the table. I get my heating pad from my bag and find an outlet. I hand him the pad and remote. "How'd you know it was my back?"

"It's always your back," I tell him stepping over his legs.

"Guess so."

I sit next to him. "I always feel the slightest bit guilty."

"Why? It's literally my job."

"Exactly. You do this all day."

"And I wouldn't have it any other way. Let me do this."

"I just wish my body wouldn't act like a 70-year-old."

"That's fair and reasonable. But you can accept help."

"You're always helping me."

"Again, I wouldn't have it any other way. I wish you would've told me sooner."

"It was fine the entire time but then I woke up this morning and it was a little tight. I worked through our warm-up and drills and felt fine. Definitely not 100% but good enough to play. The game started and I took two ABs and my back didn't like that."

"Well, I hope it's resolved before we go to Miami."

"You're able to come down?"

"Yeah."

"Wait, really?"

"Yeah. They let me know today."

"So you'll come down Wednesday night?"

"Yeah."

"I'll do everything I can to not end up on the injured list."

"Just so I don't have to watch you sitting in the dugout."

You Make It Easyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें