Chapter 31: Roaming Fees May Apply

The classroom buzzes with the sound of students settling in as Coach Lawrence launches into today's lesson on the human body. The projector light flickers, casting images of the digestive system on the screen.

Coach Lawrence stands confidently, "The teeth tear and chew, grinding the food into a paste before it's swallowed. Then, it travels down the windpipe... I mean, esophagus," he corrects himself, a bit too late.

Beside you, Jim fidgets as Claire leans in, whispering a question to Jim, "So, the reason you two were late and covered in dirt was because you were fighting a mud monster?"

The day's events playback in your mind as you and Jim approach Claire and Toby. The dust from the battle has settled, but the memory of the mud monster and the eerie, observing troll lingers vividly. Claire's question cuts through the haze of your thoughts, her expression a mix of concern and disbelief.

Toby, unable to contain his fascination, adds, "And there was some gnarly troll watching you? That's beyond creepy." His voice carries a mix of thrill and unease, clearly intrigued by the dangerous encounter.

You lock eyes with Jim, a silent agreement passing between you. They deserved to know some of the truth. "It felt like it was studying us," you finally say, the weight of the encounter pressing down on you. The troll's gaze wasn't just menacing; it was personal as if it knew you.

Jim nods, his face somber. "E-Exactly... It was like it had a specific interest in us, especially in Y/N here." He glances at you, acknowledging the unspoken tension you've been carrying since the battle.

You swallow hard, the memory of the troll's intense scrutiny bringing an uncomfortable chill. "When it looked at me, I heard her voice whispering... 'Champion...' like a haunting echo in my mind." You admit the words barely above a whisper. The connection between you and the troll, both champions of Morgana, sends a shiver down your spine.

Toby tries to inject some lightness into the heavy atmosphere with a hopeful, "Well, you guys kicked some serious mud butt, right?" But the attempt feels hollow against the backdrop of your shared unease.

The conversation stalls into a tense silence, each of you lost in your thoughts about the implications of the encounter. The moment is abruptly interrupted by Coach Lawrence's voice booming over the classroom, calling the attention of the room back to mundane matters. Yet, as you turn to listen, the foreboding feeling of being watched by something far more sinister leaves you with a sense of dread.

As Coach Lawrence winds down his graphic explanation of the digestive system, Claire leans in, concern etched on her face. "What are you guys going to do?" she whispers, scanning the room to ensure privacy.

"We don't know yet," Jim admits with a sigh, sharing a look of mutual understanding with you. The moment is interrupted by Steve's theatrics, who stands to deliver a performance only he could.

"Coach?" Steve calls out, gaining the room's attention. "Don't mean to 'butt' in, but I've got a 'gas' of a question." The class erupts with laughter at his pun, feeding Steve's ego.

"Why's everyone laughing?" Steve adds, basking in the amusement he's caused.

Coach Lawrence attempts to rein in the classroom, but his voice is stern. "Careful, Palchuk!"

In response to Steve's antics, Jim can't help but retort, "Hey, why don't you zip it, Steve?" The jest unintentionally slips out, igniting another wave of laughter.