Awakening

Sakura Third Person POV:

Sakura walked into the all too quiet house,  feeling the emptiness of it even without having any sensing skills. Ever since she became Chunin, Tsaunde has been assigning her to medical missions or increasing her shifts at the Hospital. 

She was still bitter toward Ayame, despite it having been months since she found out the truth. The Chunin exams had come and gone, and she was prompted to Chunin along with everyone else, except Neji, who became Jonin.  

She hadn't heard anything from Ayame since that day, but she'd caught whispers and gossip along the way. She'd been prompted to Jonin just before the Chunin exams took place, apparently. She'd heard that Neji had joined her team after one of her teammates left, and she heard from Ino that Ayame was also so busy with missions that she was barely in the village. 

The last time she'd seen the other girl was during the Chunin exams when she was talking to Gaara about something important right before the second round. She hadn't spoken to her then, and she hadn't seen her since.

Not that she cared. She hated Ayame.

Hated how she was always better than Sakura. Hated that she was stronger. Hated that she was smarter. Hated that she was more loved. Hated that she lied. Hated that she'd broken her heart. But most of all? She hated how she could understand why she lied. She understood, she understood and goddamnit, she understood. She knew why Ayame hid it. Knew why she'd refused to tell her about her parent's death. She knew it would have broken Sakura and hid it so that Sakura wouldn't know. 

She'd lied to Sakura just so she wouldn't get hurt and yet? She was far more hurt by the fact that Ayame had lied to her than her partner's death.

Yes, her parents meant everything to yet. Yes, she loved her parents. Yes, it hurt to know that they were dead. But it felt like a stab to the heart to know that Ayame had lied to her, and betrayed her trust and lied. Maybe she was being dramatic. Maybe she was overreacting. But she was hurt. She didn't want to hate Ayame, Ayame was her sister. Her blood and flesh and yet. She'd lied. And she'd done the exact thing her parents had warned her about.

Her parents had told her. Told her that Ayame was bad. That Ayame would be the death of them one day. Told her to stay away from her. Told her to never trust her. Told her that Ayame was a monster

She didn't believe it. She never believed it. She still didn't believe it. No matter what she'd said to her that day, Sakura didn't think Ayame was a monster. Somewhere deep in her heart, she knew Ayame was just like her. Confused and lost. She knew. She knew. She knew goddamnit, she knew! But the bitterness and feeling of betrayal never left her.

She couldn't help it. 

She stopped passed Ayame's room, the door slightly open. 

She'd never been allowed in Ayame's room before, not since she was around six or so, she didn't remember exactly. She'd never gone into Ayame's room before, and Ayame never hers. Their parents had forbidden it. Sakura always assumed it was for privacy reasons, now she knew it was because her parents were trying to distance them. She didn't know why, but her parents never seemed to like Ayame. Even if it wasn't openly displayed, she still saw it. The way they looked at her, the way they spoke about her. It showed. 

But her parents weren't here anymore, and neither was Ayame.

Slowly, hesitantly, she took a step toward the room. She pushed the door open slowly, looking around the room. It was as clean as she would have expected. Ayame had always been somewhat OCD when it came to her things. She didn't exact anything less. She looked over her desk, seeing that that was the only place that seemed messy. There were books and papers scattered across it, pens lay abandoned on the desk.