6- closure

"Guilty, guilty reaching out across the sea that you put between you and me"

daphne

present; narrative

I assumed sophomore year would be easier than freshman year, especially since I was back home but no one could've prepared me for the amount of students this school has, especially the ones who are desperate to get a picture with the beloved Caitlin Clark for their instagrams. They crowded the doors where practices were held and I attempted to prepare myself for what games would be like with an arena packed with students whose school was finally getting some recognition.

With classes starting we had much less time to practice at the arena so we practiced outside, in dorms, in gyms, basically anywhere we could to prepare for upcoming games. Basketball season didn't start for another 2 months but it was already football season and we were expected at every game. Football was my least favorite sport to cheer for. Yes we got the most recognition at football games and they were the most upbeat but it was mostly just guys trying to grab up on the cheerleaders.

"So you guys ran into each other twice." Paige asked again from the phone. I had met the famous Paige Bueckers when she and Caitlin were on Team USA together. After the break up her and Hailey stayed friends with both Caitlin and I but I knew they would always share a closer bond with Caitlin. They never picked sides though, showing me as much love and attention as they had before, and thankfully Hailey and Paige were available to hear my rants about going to the same school as Caitlin now.

"Kinda, the first time was at a practice and she legit introduced herself and the second time was at a party but I got blackout drunk and Brynn had to take me home." I explained again, I don't blame them for being confused. I kept bringing up Caitlin and then switching the topic, enough to give them whiplash and finally shut me up.

"And you'll see her at the football game today." Hailey chimed in, making me groan loudly and Paige moved out of frame to hide her smile. Paige was the biggest supporter of me and Caitlin, she always believed we would reconnect at some point and get back together, even after being broken up for 2 years.

"Why is a basketball player going to a football game?" I flopped onto my bed, trying to find an excuse to not go to the game anymore.

"That's how it works Daph." Hailey was laughing now, not even trying to hide it. "Let us know what happens."

I sat up, seeing the smirks that were plastered on both of their faces and hung up. They really needed to get it out of their heads that me and Caitlin would get back together.

Of course after we broke up I thought of the possibilities of us getting back together and I wished for it at some point. Senior year ended and still no word from Caitlin. I moved and assumed that this was the year but after that I gave up. Being apart for 2 years was too much time to make up for now. If she really missed me she had two years to figure out how she would go about fixing it, but she never did.