Shade 44 ~ Truth

Hunter’s POV

Taking a sip of my drink, I observed Bella from the booth as she concentrated on the drink she was making. She tasted it and her shoulders slumped in distress when she failed to get the result she wanted. I had been watching her for a week now and not even once she made it correct.

Bartendering didn’t suit her.

She was a perfect barista, and I had no clue why she left that job for this bullshit.

My grip on the glass tightened when I saw Davis leaning toward her and giving her instructions. For sure, that guy had a thing for Bella and I hated it. I despised it more that I couldn’t do anything about it, even though I wanted to take his eyes out for even looking at her like that.

I wanted to beat him to a pulp like I did with the guy who was offering her money the other day. I knew how things work at nightclubs and the number of bills he placed on the counter for her were not a tip. Bella took care of him, but it wasn’t enough, so when he walked out of the bar, I followed him and cornered him in the alley.

Now he won’t be bothering her or any other girl. If he’s even able to move for months.

This was the reason I asked her to leave this job, because it wasn’t for her. She lured men with her beauty and to protect her from this vicious world. I came here every night to watch over her.

I always made sure to stay at a distance and avoid her gaze because she would be pissed if she saw me here every night.

I never thought I’d ever care this much about anyone after my mother’s death. Even for my friends whom I’ve known for years, I didn’t care to this extent.

The sight of her pouting and leaning on the counter with crossed arms as Davis made the drink himself made me smile with amusement, but it faltered when she drew the attention of the men at the bar.

Despite only wearing a simple black top and jeans paired with a red apron, she looked exquisite without even realizing it.

That's the reason I prefer to call her Bella.

Initially, it was to provoke her because when we met the first time we got into an argument, and the reaction she gave me when I called her ‘Bella’ was so hot I couldn’t resist annoying her to get that response again.

I didn’t know why she hated it so much, but soon she got used to it. She let no one else call her that and made an exception for me. I thought this might be our thing, but it pained me a little to know she let that jerk of a bartender also call her that.

There was no doubt she fascinated me from the day I met her, but that turned into a compulsion to guard her when Callie and I found her crying in her sleep in the bathroom.

She looked so vulnerable, yet she tried to be strong and something tugged at my heart at the sight. That day I almost stopped breathing when placed her forehead on my shoulder. She fitted perfectly in my arms and I wanted to stay like that forever.

She was battling her past demons, which was still a mystery to me, but I wanted to know everything about her.

Every little and big thing from her favorite number to what she wants to do in the future. I want to know all her fears so I can shield her. All her sorrow and joy so that I can provide her things according to it.

But I was struggling to make a decision. I wanted her, but I also didn’t want her purity to get involved with my dark side, which somehow did.

I was mad at Callie for bringing her to the underground because I thought it would make her terrified of me, but when she said she’s been through worse, it made me curious.