68

ALL I DO

ALL I DO.
{ irl }

matt had to leave before niola – so when her dad arrived to pick her up from the park, matt wouldn't be there.

he gave her a huge hug, letting her know that she can talk to him about whatever it is that's bothering her. but he didn't force her to tell him because he doesn't want to be invasive. he won't see her again until after the hearing tomorrow, so he also wished her luck on that. but she didn't say anything. after that, he knew that's why she's acting strangely. she must be anxious about the court.

on the drive back home, matt decided to call his brothers because he didn't want to sit in silence. he knew that being alone with his thoughts would only make him even more worried about niola.

he started a three-way face time call. nick and chris answered the phone immediately, a bit worried since they knew matt was meeting up with niola in secret today.

"what's up?" chris asks.

his camera showing him laying in his bed. the screen only shows him above the nose because of how close his phone is to his face. nick is the opposite. he's sitting at his desk, editing a youtube video on his laptop. his phone is propped up against the wall, showing his entire face as well as his chest and shoulders.

"nothing really," matt says. his phone is in the cup holder beside him, angled poorly so his brothers can only see his hand on the steering wheel. "i just wanted to ask you guys what you wanted to do tomorrow."

matt decided that he wants to do something with his brothers while niola is busy – so he can get his mind off of everything. if he didn't occupy himself somehow, he knows he'd be blowing up her phone with messages.  his mind wouldn't be able to relax until he got a text back saying that everything is okay.

"why don't we hang out with niola tomorrow?" nick suggests, his attention completely taken away from editing.

matt forgot that nick and chris don't know about the court case. they don't know about niola's dad at all, actually. when she asked them to take care of rayne, she came up with some lie that chris didn't even listen to because of his excited he was to watch her.

"she's busy tomorrow." matt says.

nick and chris look at each other through the screen, both knowing that something is wrong simply by the tone of matt's voice.

"well," chris says, clearing his throat. "my schedule is completely cleared. i can do whatever you guys want tomorrow."

"same," nick agrees.

"is there anything in particular you'd like to do, matt?" chris asks.

matt doesn't respond quickly. there's a beat of silence while he thinks of what he wants to do. he thought that they'd come up with something that would just magically appeal to him. but they didn't.

matt's fingers drum against the wheel as he feels unreasonably overwhelmed.

there's no reason for him to feel like this. he's not the one who's testifying against the court tomorrow; he's also not the one with a shitty father. matt has nothing to be stressed about. so why is his heart beating so fast? why isn't his breath coming in evenly?

"matt?" nick says, grabbing his phone from where it was propped up. he brings the screen closer to his face to examine his brother better. "matt, are you okay?"

"yeah." matt manages to get out as the van comes to a stop at a red light. "yeah, i'm good."

"we could go to the mall," chris suggests, trying to distract matt from whatever's making him so anxious. "or the beach again. or that one restaurant you like."

"we could go to camille's house." nick joins in as he realizes what chris is doing. "or we could go to the movies and watch something funny."

"uh," matt says, thinking through the options. the light turns green and he starts to drive again as he speaks. "i kinda like the movie idea. and the mall. ooh! also the restaurant for like dinner or something."

chris smiles to himself, listening to all of matt's nerves alleviate from his body.

"what movie do you wanna see?" nick asks, also noticing his brother slowly returning back to normal. "there's a couple good ones i've seen trailers for recently."

"i just checked your location on life360," chris says "since you're almost at the house, we can watch some trailers when you get home, okay?"

"okay."

..
a/n : i love writing ab their brotherly bond
it warms my heart
..