55

A few days later, my friends and I were at a fancy store in the city that sells formal wear. Lucy insisted that she, with the help of her father's credit card, would be paying for our outfits for the wedding. Which, to me, seemed far too generously outrageous. I mean, her dad is already paying for the entire wedding, and there's also the honeymoon to Greece, which Lucy had mentioned.

"So, did you ask your soon-to-be stepmom if I could be one of her bridesmaids?" Hannah asked as Lucy checked herself out in the mirror.

"She didn't even want me to be one of her bridesmaids. My dad basically forced her to." Lucy says.

"You should totally wear white." Hannah says. "Put that bitch in her place."

"White isn't a good shade on anyone, trust me. If I ever get married, I plan on wearing a red wedding dress." Lucy says. "Boys, did you pick something yet?" She turned to Jake, Phillip, Cody and I. We were all seated on the sofa, bored out of our minds.

"I already have a tux at home." Says Cody. "So I'm good."

"Phillip?" Lucy raised an eyebrow at him.

"Uh, I don't know what to wear." He says.

"We've been here for hours!" She groaned.

"Uh, actually, we have only been here for half an hour." Jake corrected.

"Guys, you're all supposed to be looking for an outfit, not sitting around like a bunch of single dads." Lucy groaned.

"All these outfits are dumb." Jake argued.

Thankfully, as they escalated their argument, my phone began ringing. I pull my phone out and answer it.

"Hello?" I speak into the phone.

"Hey." I recognised his voice instantly.

I stand up from where I was seated and walk somewhere more quieter so that I could hear him and not my friends arguing.

"Did you finally get a new phone?" I asked him.

"Nah. I stole my mom's when she wasn't looking." He says. "And get this, it turns out that she's screwing the sheriff."

I was actually speechless.

So that's how she got a restraining order against me...

That sounds.... Illegal?

"Really?"

"Yeah. She agreed to cancel it, or retract it, whatever they call it." He says.

"That's good, I guess." I say.

"Anyways, what are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm in the city." I tell him. "Lucy is making us buy our outfits for her dad's wedding."

"Did you pick out something yet?"

"Not yet. But if I don't find something soon, I think she might actually murder me." I whispered dramatically.

"I bet whatever outfit you choose to wear will look hot." He says, causing my face to redden.