Uncertainty

Surprised to discover that the girl I approached isn't Zara, but rather Mary, I can't help but feel a sense of unfamiliarity. I inquire, "So uh, you new around here, Mary?"

She responds, "No, actually. I went to West High."

Recognition flashes across her face as she adds, "Wait, I know you. You're friends with Andrew, right?"

Startled by the connection she makes, I reply, "I am. You know him?"

"We used to go to the same elementary school, then we became friends," She reveals, shedding light on our shared past.

I express my surprise, saying, "Oh, really? Andrew never mentioned anything about you."

She laughs, explaining, "Haha, we rarely see each other anymore, so yeah, you know."

Feeling a bit awkward, I struggle to find something else to say. "Uhm, okay then. So, uh, you usually hang out here?"

Mary clarifies, "Not really. I live just a few steps from here, so I come when I want to get away, you know I'm saying."

I nod, trying to hide my confusion, and reply, "Oh, alright, yeah."

The conversation tapers off, leaving us in an awkward silence. I find myself scrolling through my phone, and she seems engaged in a casual chat with her friends through her phone. It's clear that we both feel the tension in the air but don't know how to break it.

After a few shots and moments of discomfort, Mary finally stands up and declares, "Well, it's late already. Mind if I leave? My mom would kill me if I weren't home by 9."

I respond, "Yeah, sure. Actually, I'm about to go too."

We exchange awkward smiles and walk out of the bar, finding ourselves standing outside. Mary points across the street at a nearby alley and says, "You see that alley over there?"

Before I can respond, she continues, "It's a shortcut to my house. I saved a few minutes by skipping it."

I reply, "Ohh, okay. Need a ride, though?"

Mary declines, saying, "Oh, haha, nah, I'm fine. Really, thanks for the offer,"

I wave her a small goodbye and say, "See you at school."

She replies, "Ha, alright bet," accompanied by a mischievous smile.

Driving home for the second time this day, I fling my body onto the bed, open my phone, and realize there are still missing texts from Kimberly. A wave of concern washes over me, but I push away the negative thoughts, determined not to overthink the situation. I drift off to sleep, hoping for a better tomorrow.

Morning arrives, and I wake up earlier than the day before. I fry some eggs and attempt to make a sandwich, toasting the bread in the process. Waiting for the bread to crisp feels like an eternity, much like waiting for a text from Kimberly. As I check my phone, I notice unread messages from Daphne. Not the person I expected, but I consider her invitation to hang out after school. With some free time and a curiosity for what could happen, I accept the invitation. After all, Daphne and I are just friends, what could possibly happen? I eat my breakfast and drink some almond milk before heading to school.

Arriving in the school's parking lot, I take a moment to gaze at the picture of Kimberly and me. Contemplating removing the picture from my mirror, avoiding Daphne from seeing it later. I'm feeling a bit uncertainty of the future with Kimberly. Something feels missing, but I can't quite put my finger on it. But in the end, I resolving to let things unfold naturally, undo my intention and leave the picture in its place, accepting that life is unpredictable and filled with unexpected twists.

The school day slowly flies by, and I find throwing farewell to my friends with goodbye fist bumps. Daphne appears from the other hallway, dressed in a cropped top and flannels tied around her jeans. She joins me on the walk to the parking lot, her face beaming with excitement.

"Hi," she greets me.

"Hey, so, where we going?" I respond, curious about our hangout destination.

Daphne replies, "I don't know, you choose."

Feeling a bit indecisive, I answer, "Well, we finna have some fun."

Daphne smiles, and together we make our way to the parking lot.

She asks me gently, "Can I drive?"

"Yeah, sure."

She hops into my car, deliberately leaving hers behind, then takes control of my steering wheel.

For a moment, an awkward silence settles between us. As i expected, her gaze falls upon the picture of Kimberly and me hanging from the mirror, her envy fleeting across her face as she trying to hide it. She asks, "So, how's things with Kim? Anything good?"

I assure her, "Yeah, yeah we're fine."

Daphne responds, "Hmm, good to know. I miss her already." A hint of nostalgia evident in her voice, the fact that Daphne and Kimberly used to be friends before Kimberly moved out to San Francisco.

I reply, "Yeah, me too."

She steps on the gas pedal and exit the school zone as the atmosphere lightens. Daphne takes control of my radio, playing "Story of My Life" by One Direction, and we begin carpooling with a sense of joy. Every mile driven is filled with enjoyment, and I can't help but relish the time spent with Daphne next to my seat.

I direct her to an old bar near Bonneville Hills, a hidden gem that my fellow car enthusiasts often gather at. A familiar sign swinging gently in the breeze, a weathered wooden plank with faded letters that read "Rusty's Tavern." The parking lot, lined with vintage cars and motorcycles, comes into view, signaling our arrival.

The gravel crunches beneath our feet as we step out of the car. We push open the squeaky wooden door, and the lively atmosphere of the bar washes over us. The low lighting casts a warm glow, creating an intimate ambiance. The walls are adorned with faded photographs capturing moments frozen in time, a testament to the rich history of this hidden gem. And there it is, the "fun" i had promised Daphne, tables of pocket billiards.

I challenge Daphne, saying, "Let's play. Show me your skills."

Daphne eagerly accepts the challenge, replying, "Ha, let's see who cries first."

Hours pass in a blur as we lose track of time, thoroughly enjoying ourselves. The bar's atmosphere fills with laughter and the sound of billiard balls colliding. Everyone at the room gazing at us like a
perfect couple. In this moment, I'm determined not to let anything ruin our time together. It feels like a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I'm grateful for fulfilling my promise to take her out and be a supportive friend, nothing more.

As the thoughts of Daphne, Kimberly, and the complexities of my emotions swirl in my mind, I remind myself to let things unfold naturally. Uncertainty may linger, but for now, I'm focused on enjoying the present and the connection we share. Lost in contemplation, I realize that sometimes, it's the unexpected connections that shape our lives the most.

To be continued...