Chapter 10 - Scars

Sorry for the delay! I was finally able to write something. I want to take my time with this story. I want to make it as good as possible, I want to spend extra time brushing over the story and detailing some of the scenes. This chapter is a little sad. I hope it turned out okay! Thank you for reading the story! Its motivating knowing there are people who actually like reading it. I just hope you guys can bear the occasional breaks or delays!

Song: Daughter - Shallows (Don't play the song until it says so in the story for the added effect.)

Theo's POV

Keegan looked so peaceful sleeping in the nights blue light. I watched him awhile, only to notice something horrifying. The bracelets and silly bands lowered on his arm, revealing some gruesome looking cuts at his wrist. 

There's no way this could have been an accident. Keegan is a... cutter. Realizing this pained me. I sat there in shock for several minutes. It made me realize how little I actually know about the guy. He refused to bring up anything from his personal life. It seemed a bit odd at first but I now understand he had his reasons for doing so. I came to the assumption that he was bullied. He seems timid, shy, quiet and keeps to himself. These are usually traits that are associated with bulling. For some strange reason I felt like I failed him. If we met earlier I feel like I could have protected him.

I lifted his arm gently to further my inspection. Seeing wounds on such a soft and delicate boy pained me. I was deeply curious to what his story was. I planned on confronting him about it tomorrow. If he decides he doesn't want to open up then thats perfectly fine. I'll just do my best to be there for him.

I stayed awake for hours thinking about how I would confront him. I didn't want to scare him off or make him angry with me. Before I knew it the clock had already struck four-am. Crap, I needed to get some sleep. I laid my head down connecting it with the soft cold pillow that resided next to me. 

While I drifted off into a much needed slumber my mind tracked back to old memories, ones that I'll never be able to forget.

When I was fourteen I had a friend named Kathrine, but everyone just called her Kat. We were exceptionally close. Being the hormonal teen that I was I had feelings for her. She knew this of course and said she just wanted to be friends. I was okay with that, though I did feel a little bummed for a time.

Me and Kat knew each other since second grade. We hung out a lot when her parents were over. Like I mentioned before, my parents are always inviting people over without much care. They just enjoy the company. Me and Kat shared many great moments together. When we entered highschool we made many friends. We would all get together on Fridays and hang out for hours.

One Friday she told me something, something I should have taken more seriously at the time. She struggled with her words, trying to open up to me. She told me she was becoming very depressed and her life was getting hard. Her parents were putting too much weight on her. They'd ignore her when she tried to tell them how gritty and pressured she felt. They didn't bat an eye, they didn't do anything, anything other than stack the pressure. They just brushed her off as some teen going through one of those stages. What really hurt me though was that I didn't do anything to help her. I continued my life like I would have normally. I was ignorant and too blind to see how bad she was actually hurting. She eventually started cutting. I hand't even known until things got bad.