31.1

Tam Mai was feeding her cat in the rajini's gazebo, and again Isla thought of Prijsti and the kitchen tabby that always followed her around

Tam Mai was feeding her cat in the rajini's gazebo, and again Isla thought of Prijsti and the kitchen tabby that always followed her around. Haana's tabby. But just like Haana, her bondmate was confirmed dead, and what were the odds of another cat being another bondmate for another unknown enemy?

Isla sighed. If she started suspecting every creature that crossed her path now, she would never stop.

She stepped into the gazebo, cool and breezy in the midday sun. A sweeping roof supported by six pillars, all of them connected by a lattice frame that served as both fence and bench. A table sat upon its centre, presently cluttered with flowers in rattan baskets, scattered cups, and a pitcher of iced tea. The entire structure was built atop a stone foundation. Clumps of lavender hugged its exterior, frosted purple in the deepening winter, and green clematis rustled from the trellises above.

'A sight Rajini Amarin herself would have envied,' she muttered as she brushed the foliage off the wooden bench.

'Anything Amarin had constructed is merely a replica of mine.' The voice came among the lavender bushes. Rajini Chei rose, basket-full of clipped lavender in her hands.

Since when did she and Tamma start spending time together? 'Of course, rajini.'

'It is not spite that drives my words, grandchild. Imitation is only the purest form of flattery, after all. I speak simply of observable truth. I've been here far longer than Amarin, and apparently will be here for longer yet.'

'Do you not wish to leave? Retire to your paternal home, perhaps?' And bring Tamma with you?

'A consort cannot leave so long as her Rama yet rules. But her children; her grandchildren can.'

Isla glanced at her sister, who had scooped the cat into her arms to join her by the bench. 'That's why I've come, actually.' She took the cat from Tam Mai's hands and it settled, purring, in her lap. 'You've always wanted to see Noi and Uncle Bart again. Are you sure this isn't something you still would like to do?'

Tam Mai wrinkled her nose. 'Not without you.'

'You could go first, if you like. Jinsei will come with you.'

'So you can spend some time alone with your maharaj?'

Even the rajini snickered behind the cover of her bushes. Isla pretended not to hear either of them. 'I'd join you soon enough.'

'We already talked about this.'

'I know, but I only wanted to offer it again.' Things will soon start, Tamma, and when they begin, I don't want you getting caught in the crosshairs.

"And when you get caught in the crosshairs?"

'I already had a life. While you were—' She could not bring herself to finish. Isla took Tam Mai's hand to still hers. 'I already got to experience many things, Tamma, and now it is your turn. Please, just think about it.'