Chapter 15 The Hero

Aleks kept her gun ready as they crossed a long hallway. It was very odd, the passageway was turning left and right, but they hadn't seen any doors or crossing with other corridors. The place didn't fit the warehouse plan GSO studied before action; that much was evident as soon as Aleks landed in a glass cage, but this never-ending hallway was unnerving.

Diego appeared next to her. "This hallway is just going on and on." He took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. "I might be going insane, but as I crossed the corridor ahead, the walls... moved."

"You're not going insane," said the freckled man with a smoke gift. "It's the deviant. I saw her once. She waved her hands, and more of those glass cages formed from the floor."

Aleks ran a hand through her hair. "So, they know we are out and leading us exactly when they want us." She rubbed her chin in thought. "Is there any way we can make our way through the walls?"

Libby scratched her claws along the wall, making a horrible sound that made everyone wince. She shook her head and said in a raspy voice, "Too thick."

"If they form this hallway in a loop, we're screwed."

"I think they are leading us somewhere," Diego said. "Further ahead, I've heard gunfire and fighting getting closer. I bet that's where they want us to be."

"I hoped I could get you out with as little scuffle as possible." Aleks sighed and looked at the other gifted. "I'm afraid we have no choice but to move forward. Stick together and watch each other back."

As they crossed the hallway, the minutes stretched like hours, but Aleks sensed they were getting close to somewhere where many auras were mixing together. But muffled gunshots and painful screams did not sound encouraging.

Suddenly Libby growled and raised her hand, stopping Aleks. "Wait. She's there."

"Who's there?"

"Sorcha. She's a witch. A mind deviant. She can play with your mind and make you see horrible things."

"Did she do that to you?" Aleks asked quietly.

"Many times."

Diego appeared out of thin air and swayed on his feet, leaning heavily on the wall.

"Diego! Are you alright?" Aleks grabbed his elbow to steady him.

"I am now. We finally got somewhere. But what's happening in the room ahead of us...." He fumbled for words; his face was ashen. "I can't even describe it. Everything is breaking apart and spinning like crazy and...."

"It's her, alright," Libby growled.

"How do we stop her?" Aleks asked.

The predator shook her head. "We can't. Once we enter that room, our minds will be under her influence. She will trick your eyes and brain so you can never get to her."

"There must be a way." Aleks closed her eyes and massaged her temples. She had a horrible headache with so many gifted all flaring with powers and overflowing her brain with signals.... Her eyes snapped open, and she turned to Libby. "What if I close my eyes? She can't fool me if I can't see her illusions."

"That's insane!" Diego protested. "How can you stop her if you can't see her?"

Aleks laughed.

Everyone stared at her, flabbergasted, but she couldn't stop laughing. The constant tension from the last few days came out with a slightly maniacal fit of laughter.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry..." Aleks said, wiping tears from her eyes. "It's just... It's my bloody useless gift. The irony of this situation is just too good." She turned to Diego. "I don't have to see her to know where she is. I don't only see auras. I can sense them. They are like pulses connected directly to my brain, enabling me to pinpoint their location."