Makeovers

When Ramona got home she changed out of her black short sleeve crop top and low waisted brown cargos to opt for a more comfortable option: a pair of fuzzy cupcake pajama pants she was gifted for her 14th birthday and her dad's extra large "World's Best Dad" shirt. After finishing her homework Ramona decided to let herself float into another world by putting her airpods on the noise canceling mode and hiding her entire body under her covers. It was peaceful, even though she could still hear the muffled screams of her parents fighting. They do it a lot. Mostly over stupid things like her mom's cooking being too salty or her dad being too late coming home from work. But underneath all of it Ramona just wished they would separate. Maybe then they could have a chance of their own individual happiness instead of concealing their genuine distaste for each other underneath petty fights.

For a minute the bickering stops and Ramona relaxes. Then there's three loud knocks on her door. "Ramona, are you fucking deaf? I've been calling for you for five minutes. There's some boy here for you."

Oh shit. Beau. "My bad, Mom. I'm going." With haste Ramona brushes her hair with her fingers trying to make it less.. whatever it is right now.

"Holy shit, you look like you just got attacked by a swarm of birds" Leaning in her doorway comes the voice of Lucas Bell, Ramona's older brother by one year.

"Oh shut up!" When squatting down to look in her mirror, Ramona can see the full effect of her nesting time. Not only is her hair a bird's nest but her mascara and eyeliner has smudged all around her eye area making her look like a makeshift raccoon.

"Soooo, a boy, huh?" Lucas walks over and brushes her hair. "Worry about your face, I'll do your hair."

"Don't get any ideas. I'm just tutoring him." But Ramona can't hide her appreciation for Lucas's help. "Thank you." She's barefaced and in the most wack pair of pajamas but it'll have to do.

"Have fun! But not too much fun." Ramona elbows Lucas as she walks out her bedroom door. "I'm kiddingggg," His voice trails behind her.

She can't believe her parent's audacity to continue their fighting when Beau is standing in the doorway. Their current topic at hand is whether or not her father catcalling women is cheating.

"You say one more thing and you're out of this house!"

"Maybe I want to get out of this house!"

"Fine!"

"Fine!" Ramona knows she'll come home with her father sleeping on the couch with a half packed bag sitting on the floor next to him. She honestly hopes one of these days he does leave. It would be easier. On her, on Lucas, on both of their parents.

Oh well. There's no time to focus on that now because at this moment all she feels is embarrassment. Ramona can feel her cheeks heat up as she runs out the door, scooping up her backpack on the way. She slams the door before she finally speaks. "I'm so sorry you had to hear that, they're unbelievable."

"Don't apologize. It's not your fault. Do you wanna talk about it?"

"No." Ramona doesn't need Beau's fake concern or pity. She's perfectly fine. She can deal with her parent's bickering, she's not a baby. Who does he even think he is to suggest that?

"Alrighty then. Uh, my cars over there." Beau says. It's obvious that awkwardness has put a temporary damper on his upbeat attitude. One upside of the situation that will be put in her suicide letter.

Beau opens the passenger side door, or at least he tries to for a solid half a minute without realizing he didn't unlock the car. When he finally gets it open Ramona silently slips in, placing her bag on the floor and clasping her hands in her lap. Beau's already reaching out to close it when she pulls it closed herself.