Chapter 5| Honey Challenges

Anya went back home, rage seeping into her core with every step

Anya went back home, rage seeping into her core with every step. She assumed her parents would be home; it was already getting dark and she had missed lunch. Her stomach rumbled at the thought and she pushed the fears away.

She came up to a stop in front of a one-story building with red roofs marred by algae. The rains had turned the white paint greyish green at the very bottom and the roofs were a dark shade of olive green in many places. Mahogany, teak and plantain trees made up for most of her back yard, towering over the house and providing the perfect shade. Her front yard split into red and white interlocked concrete tiles and the remaining area filled with chilies and tapioca plants. Monsoon was late this year. Her flowers were dying, she thought wistfully.

She spotted an extra pair of sandals on the steps, and froze.

Guests? No, no, no. This was a terrible time.

Laughter spilled out and a booming voice echoed as she stepped in and spotted four pairs of eyes stare back at her.

"Anya Mol," a booming voice spoke and she grimaced. She quickly forced herself to smile, lest her worries leak out.

How could this day get any worse?

"Hello Prithvi," she went up to him and gave him a side hug. A little boy jumped on the cushiony sofas as his mother scolded him and took hold of him. "When did you arrive? Just now?"

Her brother just had to be here, and ruin things for her.

"Half an hour back," he smiled warmly at her. "How are things? Still looking to set up businesses?"

Here we go, again.

"Yes," she gritted her teeth. What does it matter to you, anyways? Aren't you fucking happy with a nuclear family?

"How's that working out for you?" He took the kid from his wife's lap and settled the boy onto his.

"Anya, dear," her mother called from the kitchen, cups and spoons clanging together, as she hurried about.

Anya didn't respond and went in, looking around. "You didn't tell me Prithvi was coming today."

"Well, he's your brother, honey!" she exclaimed. "Of course, he can pop in at any time."

"Yes, but" she sighed, leaning against the wall and then moving to help her mom. "Do I need to buy snacks?"

"No, we have banana chips over there on the shelf. Second from left. Will you get those on a plate?"

She opened the shelf and saw the packet her mom mentioned, emptying the contents onto a ceramic plate, but not before popping a handful into her mouth. "I just wish people would inform us before coming. Isn't it hectic for you?"

Her mother waved her hand, setting the cups onto a plastic tray. "It is not. You missed lunch."

"I know. I had some work," she responded quietly but her mother was already out of the kitchen by then, and serving them tea. Anya placed the snacks onto the teapoy and watched them gobble it up.