40| Smells like betrayal

Over the next few days, I debate how and when to approach Auden. I keep convincing myself he has a perfectly reasonable excuse for walking out of Box Inc with a hand full of cash, but deep down, I know it's something sinister. Either he's planning on jumping ship after everything Coach did for him, or he's the one who betrayed us in the first place; my instincts tell me it's the latter.

My first thought is how he could be so selfish. Coach went above and beyond trying to help him, only for him to turn around and strike a deal with our opposition. But part of me gets why he did it, even if I disagree. Auden has had it rough growing up, and if he made a deal with Box Inc for money, it'd be because he was desperate.

It's why, even if it turns out my theory is correct, I'm reluctant to say anything to Hayden. The second the others found out what he did, Auden would be kicked out of the gym and ostracised the way Nico was, his only safe place gone; I'm not sure I have it in me to do that to him, even if he does deserve it.

I mull over my options with Daisy at lunch, deciding whether to get involved or pretend I never saw anything. I know which would be the easier option, but it's not in my nature to sit back and do nothing, especially over something like this. As sympathetic as I feel toward Auden, if he did this, he was wrong.

"Maybe it's something completely innocent," Daisy says. We're sitting in the cafeteria, picking at today's choice of vegan lasagna and people-watching the rest of the students, the way we're prone to. From our spot in the corner, we have a clear view of the rest of the cafeteria, including a cackling Danny. Daisy glares at him and adds, "Maybe one of the guys at Box Inc owed him money or something. Either way, this isn't something you should be stressing about a week before your fight."

"I know," I say because she's right. The only thing that should be on my mind right now is fighting Katarina, but I can't silence the nagging feeling that everything is about to implode. "Are you still going to watch me?"

"Of course," she says, stealing one of my fries. "Who wouldn't want to see their best friend get punched in the face?"

"I think many people," I say and swat her hand to stop her from descending on my fries.

After lunch, as we head to my locker, Danny and his friends walk past and say, "How's your mom doing, Cassie? I haven't seen a bikini pic in a while. Is she okay?"

Daisy braces herself like I'm about to start a brawl in the hallway, but I don't. I grab her arm, calmly lead her to my locker, and get my things for class. When I close the door again, Daisy is wearing the biggest grin.

"God, I'm proud of you," she says.

I can't help it – I smile; I'm proud of myself, too.

***

Later, I take Daisy's advice and arrive at the gym earlier than usual to pull Auden aside. As luck would have it, he's nowhere to be seen, so I make my way to the weights while watching Wiley and Hayden in the ring, their punches and grunts echoing through the gym.

The two men circle each other warily, their eyes locked in intense concentration. They're both shirtless, and I can see the sheen of sweat on their taut muscles. Clearly, they've been at this for a while.

It's almost therapeutic watching them. I analyze their techniques, scanning for strengths and weaknesses to use. Wiley is a strong fighter, with the power to end a fight with one punch from either hand, but it gets him into trouble, especially with Hayden. He relies too much on it, always looking for that perfect spot, but sometimes there isn't one.

Briefly, I think of Nico and smile. Conservative is the last thing you'd call him, but maybe that drew me to him. He has a recklessness about him, a wild streak that can't be ignored or contained. Deep down, I relate.