Chapter 45

I sat there in the booth, sipping on my latte, wanting to forget everything that had happened since we moved back here. I couldn't bring myself to do that because no matter how bad my life seemed, I was thankful for Austin and my new friends. I rested my head against Austin's shoulder, wincing in pain because I forgot he was on my left side. He must have heard me because he peeked at me and asked if I was okay. I whispered yes, trying not to move my head that much. I didn't want to bump my eye again. 

"Rylee, do you have a minute?" Ashlynn asked, motioning me to follow her to the back. 

"Yeah." I lifted my head and asked Austin to let me out so I could talk to Ashlynn. He asked if I wanted him to go with me. I shook my head no and walked around the counter to the back. I inhaled deeply, holding it briefly, then exhaled slowly before entering Ashlynn's office. 

"Did you want to talk to me, Ashlynn," I said, standing close to the doorway. 

"Yeah, Rylee. Well...I don't have to ask you where the bruises come from. Does he do this to your sister?" She got up and walked around to the front of her desk, leaning against it. "Does he hit your sister too?" She stared into my eyes. 

I quickly looked away; I could feel the judgment stabbing me in the stomach. 

"Rylee, look at me. Does he hit your sister?" She asked again. 

I shifted my eyes, meeting her gaze. "No." My voice was barely above a whisper. 

"Rylee, you've got to tell someone. He's only going to get worse. I know you think you're protecting your sister. Who's protecting you?" 

"Rylee. Rylee. Where are you?" Austin said, trying to keep his voice low.

"Let him in," Ashlynn stood up and walked around to her desk chair. 

"We've got to leave now. As in right now." His eyes widened. 

"Rylee! I know you're still here!" My dad screamed. 

My eyes widened, my heart pounding. I threw my hand over my mouth so I wouldn't utter a sound. Austin wrapped his arms around me, trying to calm me down. 

"Take this. It's emergency money for the coffee shop. I want you to take it and get as far away from here as possible." Ashlynn stood there, holding a large sum of money in her hand. "Go pick up your sister and leave. He's not going to stop, Rylee. Please go!" She placed the money in my hand. 

"My purse is out there." I turned to walk out of her office. 

"Rylee, we'll come back later to get it." Austin grabbed my hand. 

"I'll get it and keep it back here for you. Come back later after everything calms down. I'm going to call the police now. I'm sure he'll be spending the night in jail. It will do him some good. Now, go." She motioned toward the door as she dialed 9-1-1. 

I led Austin to the back door, making sure no one saw us. I paused right as we headed out the door, knowing the second I walked through it, I would be leaving my friends behind. I didn't want to leave without telling them something, but I knew I couldn't go back in there. 

"Rylee, we need to go," Austin said, trying to coax me out the door. 

"I know." I eased the door open and walked through, knowing my life would never be the same from that moment on. Austin closed the door partway so it wouldn't make a loud bang when it shut. We took off walking along the backside of the buildings, weaving in between empty boxes, sitting on the ground, and staying close to one another. We were almost past the third building when, off in the distance, police sirens grew louder the closer they got to the entrance of Downtown Mall. I froze for a second, wanting to go back and get my friends, but I knew that would only put me in more danger. I looked back over my shoulder, then turned around and mouthed. "Sorry." 

Austin unlocked the car as I walked around to the passenger door. He slid into the driver's seat, handed me his phone, and told me to call my sister. I put the money in my lap and started to dial her number. 

"Hello?" Jules said. 

"Jules, it's Rylee. I'm calling you from Austin's phone. Where are you?"

"I'm at home. Evie's mom dropped me off a few minutes ago. Why? What's wrong?" 

"I want you to grab your bag and pack as many clothes in it as you can. Then, grab your charger and turn the location off on your phone. I'll be there in about fifteen minutes. I'll explain everything when I get there." 

"I'll have to fill up my car with gas before Jules and I leave town." 

"Wait a minute. I'm going with you." He glanced over at me briefly, returning his attention to the traffic. 

"I can't ask you to leave with us." 

"You aren't asking me." He placed his hand on top of mine. "I told you I'm not going to let anything happen to you." 

We arrived at my house fifteen minutes later. We raced through the front door and up the stairs to my room. I opened my closet door, tossed my big duffle bag on my bed, and started tossing clothes onto the bed while Austin shoved them in the bag. I hollered for Jules while throwing clothes from my closet and dresser. I grabbed a big tote bag hanging in my closet, walked over to my vanity, and started putting my makeup in it. I hollered for Jules again. 

"What?" She opened my bedroom door with one earbud in and the other in her hand. 

"Did you get your bags packed and ready to go? We don't have much time. I was packing my makeup and about to grab my stuff out of the bathroom when you yelled for me. Why are we leaving? What happened to your..." Her voice trailed off when she caught sight of my cheek. "We're leaving because of Dad, aren't we?" She asked, staring at my cheek. 

"Jules, we don't know if he's coming back here or not. We need you to hurry. Go get your stuff." Austin grabbed her shoulders and turned her in the direction of the hall. "Go!" 

"What am I forgetting?" I stood there in the middle of my room, looking around. "Shoes." I snapped my fingers and walked over to the closet. I grabbed another pair of tennis shoes, sandals, and strappy wedges. I stuffed them in the bag, then went to the bathroom to get my stuff. 

"I grabbed your laptop and charger." He patted my book bag hanging on his shoulder. 

"My phone charger." I reached down and unplugged it. "Come on, Jules. We need to go!" I turned around and took one last look at my room, then rushed downstairs. "Jules! Come on!" I yelled up the stairs." 

"I had to grab my phone charger," She said, walking down the stairs. 

"Go!" Austin motioned to the back of the house.

"What?" I glanced out the window and saw my dad's truck pulling into the driveway. "Oh, my god! I told you to hurry up!" I glared at Jules. "Hurry!" I motioned them to follow me. Austin grabbed Jules's bag and put her between us as we raced through the house. 

Right as we got to the kitchen, the front door slammed shut. "I know you're here, Rylee! You can't hide from me!" Dad bellowed. "I know you're upstairs somewhere!" The thunderous staggering footsteps up the stairs and across the floor above us wouldn't last long. I opened the backdoor, tiptoed through the doorway, and ran like hell around the house to Austin's car. He didn't hit the unlock button, so it wouldn't chirp if Dad were by a window. We threw the bags in the back seat with Jules and sped off down the road, looking back to make sure we weren't being followed. 

Author's Notes:

Wow...I can't believe she took her sister and left. 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.