The Rehearsal

After sneaking out of my hotel room at 7:30 this morning and joining my parents golfing, which was a complete bore, I finally learned the secret to get Isaiah to leave me alone

After sneaking out of my hotel room at 7:30 this morning and joining my parents golfing, which was a complete bore, I finally learned the secret to get Isaiah to leave me alone. As I sit with Nadia and Benjamin going over the final details for their wedding over a small lunch, I see Isaiah walking toward me with a smirk. He is taking long strides toward me, no doubt already thinking of new ways to try to convince me to have sex with him again.

That is until he finally registers who I am having lunch with. Then his entire attitude changes.

The moment he recognizes the back of his big brother's head, the same brother who is talking my ear off about the optimal time for the beach wedding so their guests aren't hot and don't have the sun in their eyes, his face sours. I watch his easy smile contour into distaste like he sucked on a lemon. His strides slow until he stops about 20 feet from the table.

I watch him wondering what his next move will be, wondering if he will endure his brother for me.

He won't.

Instead he sees one of his cousins and walks away with them, acting like coming over to me was never a thought that crossed his mind.

I try to hide my disappointment even though I should be grateful he is finally giving me the peace I have been asking for since we arrived yesterday. Last night should be considered a parting gift of sorts, and now we should be acting like nothing more than two people whose siblings are getting married.

"Mi? You ok?" My sister questions looking behind her to where Isaiah was standing, where I am still staring.

"Sorry, I saw... uh um a bird," I say awkwardly.

My sister looks out the window past where I was staring and nods slightly confused. "If I am asking too much of you let me know Naomi, I know a lot has been going on in your life lately."

"No no, it is fine," I assure as I stand from the table adjusting my sundress. "I will take care of these things and come find you later, now go lay by the pool and relax both of you."

The couple stands, looking unsure about the idea of spending the rest of their day lounging until it is time for their rehearsal dinner. I honestly don't think they've ever had a day before where they didn't spend every moment doing something that would either physically or intellectually challenge them. I would bet on my life that never have they spent a day in front of the tv doing nothing but snacking on junk food and rotting their brains.

"I brought two copies of that book we spoke of," Benjamin tells his unsure bride to be as he gently takes her hand to lead her to the elevator.

"Really?" My sister asks with bright eyes like she is looking at her own personal prince charming.

"Really," he confirms with the most relaxed smile I have ever seen from him. He pulls her hand he is holding to his lips and kisses it gently.

My big sister turns into some creature I have never seen before and giggles nervously. Benjamin just stares at her like she is the 8th wonder of the world. I knew they were in love but watching them interact right now in front of me is something else entirely