Chapter 20

I was getting out of here today.

John was right. I hadn't seen Alexs' father in a few days so I believed that he was truly gone for the week at the very least and therefore I had a limited window of opportunity to make an escape attempt.

John had been drinking heavily over the last few days and it was going to work in my favor. I wasn't sure if all the years of heavy drinking and age were catching up to him but instead of the violent fits of rage I was accustomed to he was angry and still yelled but he seemed to lack the energy to actually hit me in the way that he normally would. He would throw empty bottles at my head while he yelled and called me names and talked about all the disgusting things he would do to me once he sobered up. I was counting on his drunken state to cause him to make a mistake that would work in my favor.

I was still in quite a lot of pain still, in my abdomen particularly. While the bleeding had stopped I was worried about infection. All of my other injuries were things that I'd had to push through. There were some injuries that I'd woken up with my first night here but I couldn't recall where they'd come from. I'm sure they were fractures and maybe even broken but I felt almost numb to the pain, I knew it was there but I didn't, couldn't feel it but that was all the more reason to attempt to escape.

**

My opportunity came at sunset.

He had finished his drunken tirade and had collapsed in the single chair in the center of the room, a brown bottle hanging from his limp fingers.

I slowly made my way to my feet once I was sure that he was pretty soundly asleep.

He tended to leave the metal door to the cell I'd been kept in open while he was in the room with me, relying heavily on my fear to ensure that I wouldn't run and that was true while he was sober. But he was currently in a drunken stupor where I hoped he would remain while I tried to make my escape.

I grabbed a large shard that had bronek off of one of the bottles scattered on the floor after he'd thrown it at me and tried my best to avoid stepping on the rest of the broken glass with my still bare feet.

I made my way out of the room for the first time and was met with a small office area with a rotting desk and an equally rickety chair. A look around the room revealed that I was more than likely in either an extremely old jail going by the three other cells in the room or I was in some kind of medieval dungeon under a castle.

Just as I was making my way out of the office area, a dull glint from the desk caught my eye. Keys.

John's car keys were sitting there, just conveniently sitting there like they were waiting for me to grab them. So I did.

Car keys in hand I wound my way through the fairly simple floor plan of the surprisingly large building. I ran across several doors that led outside but found that they were all locked from the outside.

As I was testing yet another door along the hallway, I heard a loud crash and then John's bellowing voice.

"Annie!"

Fuck.

I gave up on my quick but quiet approach and took off running to the nearest hallway. My next turn took me into a giant open room with nothing but John's truck parked on the other end, opposite a garage door.

I took off toward the truck and just as I was about a foot away, a hand clamped around my hair and pulled me back into a large body.

"Thought you could get away from me Annie?"