Chapter 14

When I opened my eyes, I could still feel the pain like an echo in my head

A small groan escaped as I pushed myself up in the bed. Trying to remember how I'd gotten in to my bed was like trying to recall a dream that I had a month ago. My head was still foggy and my whole body ached with the strange pulsing that overcame me in the stairwell. I was still in my training clothes, but it was dark outside my window and—

Cedric was asleep in the chair by the window. He was dressed in a dark sweater and a pair of slacks that looked like they were made for training or lounging. His head leaned back against the arm chair with eyes shut, baring the angular tilt of his jaw.

In the moments where I'd just woken up and confusion still settled in my head, the image made me want to giggle. The chair was much too small for him to be comfortable and the big bad warrior didn't look so big and bad when he was snoozing by my bedside. Quickly, the fog of sleepiness lifted from my brain and my consciousness was less amused with his presence.

Something akin to fear crept up my neck. How could Maddox or Torin have let this happen? Why would they have left him alone with me?

Someone definitely owed me an explanation. I attempted to quietly shift out of the covers to try and find one of my guards.

We'd been alone in the corridor earlier, but that was a much different circumstance than being alone in my chambers. Much different. Especially after what transpired in the corridor.

I wasn't sure if I was referencing his blatant confession or the way he whispered it into my ear. My cheeks flushed at the memory and I was grateful that he appeared to be asleep and there was a cover of darkness.

He stirred at the ruffling of the blankets, his neck snapping up at the creak of the bed. Silver eyes met mine through the dark, wide and wary.

"You're awake." Clearly.

"No shit," I bit, "You shouldn't be here. Why are you in my bedroom? Where are my guards?"

"You were screaming," he responded as though that was explanation enough. It wasn't.

Though I was mortified that once again someone found me during whatever episode occurred this time, I was even more concerned that a man I'd sentenced to exile was sleeping in the corner of my room. The aforementioned man seemed to constantly forget that he betrayed me. That he was my enemy. That I had been a hairsbreadth from sentencing him to death.

And for some reason, I highly doubted that Maddox would be okay with Cedric being in here. Which means he didn't know.

"You still have no right to be in this room. Nor is it..." I struggled to find the right word, "proper."

Cedric snorted, shifting in the chair to lean his elbows on his knees. His dark hair fell down around his forehead. It was getting longer, curling around his ears and creating a shadow over his eyes.