8~ Blast From the Past

"Hey, Easton," Ashtyn greeted as she walked up to the lunch table. "I wasn't sure you would be here today. You weren't here in first period." She sat down across from me as usual.

"Just got here. We were picking up Ethan's car this morning and we got lunch," I motioned to the to-go cup on the table.

She nodded. "And you didn't bring me anything?" She teased. I reached down and pulled out a bag I had gotten her. It was just a normal cheeseburger. I didn't know what she wanted. I also got her a coke because I knew she at least liked them. "East, you didn't actually have to get me anything."

I shrugged. "We were already getting Erin lunch and I didn't want you to be left out."

"Thank you," she said as she took the bag from the table and took out her food. "Where are Erin and Ethan anyway?" She asked as she noticed the lack of people at the table.

"He's showing her his car. He's very excited to drive her around." I chuckled.

She laughed along.

"Hey, Ash," someone from another table called.

"Hey" she called back with a smile on her face. She always had a smile on her face. I guess that was one of the things I liked about her. Ash looked back at me. "I have a question," she looked nervous and almost guilty.

"Shoot," I said and took a drink.

"I made a friend this past week and I wanted to know if I could invite her to hang out with us. She just moved in next door to Mase. She seems really nice and she doesn't know anyone here except her cousin. I wanted to make sure it was okay with you before I invited her."

I nodded. "You can invite her Ash. What're we doing anyway?"

"We could go to the bowling alley and arcade," She shrugged. "I don't really know."

I shrugged. "Sounds good to me." I didn't care where we went or if we stayed at the house and watched movies or played board games.

"Your birthday's next week, are you excited?" She asked. 

Shit. I forgot about that.

"No," I said sharply.

She frowned. "Why not?"

"I don't like my birthday," I answered simply.

She frowned again. "Why not? Your birthday is a day when we just celebrate you. You're not even a little bit excited? What do you normally do on your birthday?"

"I sit in my room and go for a run a couple of times. I get forced out for dinner, but most of the time I refuse and stay in my room. Can we not get into the whole why my birthday sucks thing? I don't want to talk about it right now," I asked her sincerely.

She nodded quietly and dropped the conversation. Maybe she'll get to know one day.

Ethan and Erin came back and broke the strain of silence looming over the table. You could feel the tension. Ethan cut through the tension flawlessly.

He was a natural social butterfly. He could talk his way out of almost anything and if he couldn't, he could fight his way out. He also knew how to get under anyone's skin and push all their buttons. I'm surprised he hasn't been in a fight recently, not since the whole Erin situation and before that, it was the fight I had to pull him out of. I guess I have Erin to thank for that.

The bell rang and we all walked off to our next classes. Ethan walked Erin to hers and I walked with Ash until we split to go in different directions.

In Government, it was the end of the election and finally voting day. We had a speech last week and this week it was voting time. The poll was only open for one class period and we would start on our essays after we voted. We would find out who won the next day.