Chapter Eighteen

The weekend was over and students trooped into the school compound like soldier ants on a mission. Some discussed cheerily with their friends, happy for a reunion after the two-day separation. Some walked alone, having not met their friends yet. Few walked with gloomy faces, already dreading the school day that hasn't even started yet.

Bella was one of the few. She walked through the school gate, a scowl edged on her spotless face. She hadn't bothered to wait for Benita at their usual spot, wanting to be left alone. She dreaded what she was going to do after school, but it had to be done. Even if it meant sitting together with her pompous neighbour for an extra two hours. It was the only way. If only her mum wasn't bent on ruining her happiness.

On her way to the classroom, she nodded non-stop in acknowledgment to greetings from fellow students like a certain group of reptile.

The final bell rang for the morning assembly, but Bella sat rooted on her chair, not at all bothered by the bell. Instead, she took out her SS1 maths notebook from her bag and tried to understand the basics of logarithm before diving into questions. Not wanting to entertain distractions from the scampering students, she took out her black Bluetooth ear buds and connected them to her phone, increasing the volume to the highest. She slipped the phone into her bag to avoid its seizure.

Seven hours later, Bella packed up her hook and reluctantly headed to Benita's class. She stood for a while at a spot observing the classroom. She had been in this particular classroom on different occasions, but never for the reason she was now in here for. She shook her head and turned around to walk out of the class.

Bella hesitated just outside the door. This was a first for her. Compromise wasn't something she did out of habit. She stood, scanning the empty classroom for an extra reason to go on with her decision. She had to do this. She needed this. It was her only option. Finally coming to terms with her predicament, she exhaled and took a step into the class again. She was here now and there was no going back.

It wasn't long before Bella felt a presence at the door before he walked in. She watched him step into the classroom frowning down at the sketch booklet in his hands, but averted her eyes just before he looked up. She went back to ignoring him yet again, scribbling on the new notebook she had taken from the house for the tutorial.

Collins didn't bother to acknowledge her presence too. He walked to the back of the class where he took a seat on the last row, took out his eraser and went to work erasing the mess he made earlier. He was thankful he started with a pencil earlier instead of a biro like he always does. After many failed attempt to recreate Simisola's cat, he sighed and let the pencil roll off his fingers.

The silent treatment wasn't his forte. He couldn't bring himself to continue ignoring Bella. At least not after Claire informed him of the unknown bone of contention. He had to apologize even if Bella wasn't going about the situation in the right way.

Before he could stop, Collins already stood in front of Bella, looking down at her as she drew spiral lines on a page.

“So you are joining our class?” he managed, looking uneasy. Bella pursed her lips at the intrusion.

“Isn't that what it looks like?” she asked without looking up.

“With whose permission? The proprietress?”

“Do I need permission to join a class organized by my best friend?”

“She wasn't the one who organized it.”

“Neither are you.”

“But you still need to get permission from the proprietress.”

“Can you just shut up?” Bella snapped, glaring up at him. “Just go back to your chair. Let's act like we are not here.”