16 : protecting vengence

— Everleigh

(unedited so please comment mistakes)

The entire place was sketchy from the moment we walked in. I was asked how much money I'd like to put up, and I ended up putting about five-hundred for Kayo—double or nothing. It was all the money he ended up giving to me in tips, so I figured it had some of his luck sprinkled on it. The rest of the guys put money on Kayo, but they put a lot more than five hundred.

They had to have gone to watch fights quite a bit. Everyone knew Andre, Malik, and Tyler. From the moment we walked in, they were greeted by almost everyone. I casually looked over at Xyah to catch the blank expression on her face, but the moment she noticed my gaze, she broke out into a smile.

Just when I was about to return my attention to out in front of me, I bumped into a chest as hard as steel.

"Watch where you're going," he grumbled. I looked up into stone cold eyes. He was tall, probably just a bit shorter than Kayo. One of the first things I noticed was that he was shirtless and had scars covering his body—similar to Kayo. He had to be older than me but not more than ten or twelve years.

The moment his eyes met mine, interest swirled within them.

"You shouldn't be here," he said. A smirk settled on his lips. "Girls like you shouldn't be here."

A shock ran down my spine. There was something about the way he looked at me that was frightening. He was like a lion getting ready to feast on his prey. I gulped.

"I—"

"Kyle," Malik said. The man looked away from me, and it was like my lungs could finally work again. With his attention on Malik, I turned to Xyah to see she was just as shocked.

"Who are you?" Kyle asked him, quirking up a brow.

"Malik. She's friends with Kayo, so I would suggest you leave her be," Malik defended me. At the mention of Kayo's name, Kyle lit up like a Christmas tree. An actual smile came across his face as he turned to me again.

"A friend of Kayo's?" he asked me. I didn't know what the right answer was as he looked me up and down. There was something about his smile that failed to meet his eye as he took a step closer to me. I stood still as Kyle leaned in closer to me until he was just a whisper away from my ear.

"You tell Kayo I will kill him and then take his girl as a fucking prize," he whispered. My eyes widened as he pulled away from me but not before grabbing my chin and pressing his lips against the corner of my lips. I cringed.

Suddenly, he was pulled off me.

"Oh?" Kyle laughed as Kayo stood up in front of him. There was a snarl on his face as he stared Kyle down. Neither of them would break eye contact as they stared the other down.