Chapter Twenty

Rúben

"Sorry, I have to get this", I tell the boys before leaving the table to answer Christina's call.

"Hey, how are you?"

"I think I'm having a panic attack", she says.

"What? What happened?"

"I slapped Matty", she what? "And now I'm shaking".

"Did he touch you?", I said, worried.

"No, he was telling me I only got this job because according to him I'm sleeping with you and I got tired of his shit and slapped him".

"Can you breathe properly?", I ask, checking for anxiety symptoms.

"Yes. I just feel shaky".

"I think that's the adrenaline from slapping him. Not a panic attack".

"Oh", she says. "Right. It could be".

"Did it feel good?"

She laughs. "You have no idea".

I can't lie. I'm jealous of her right now.

"I'm so tired of them. Dom was so happy and proud of me. He is the only one that ever valued me, you know?"

"He's not the only one, Christina. Tom also did, which is why he offered you the job".

"I guess".

"You know what? I saw him yesterday before you called him to say you wanted the job and he was asking me to beg you to accept the offer because he knew you'll be getting many more soon".

"Really?", she laughs.

"Really. You are valued. By so many people. Don't listen to those two idiots. It's their loss. They stay there while you grow".

"Thank you, Rúben".

"No need to thank me. I'm always here for you", I remind her.

"I know", she says softly.

"Are you better now?"

"Yeah. I don't really want to go back to the office...oh God! I slapped Matty", she groans.

"He had it coming", I said shrugging, even though she can't see me.

"Maybe I can work from home..."

"Christina, go back to that office".

"Ok ok", she says laughing. "Talk to you later?"

"I'll be patiently waiting for our evening facetime call".

"Ok, until then".

"Bye!"

Christina

When I get back to the office, I see that Matty is gone. And so is my bouquet.

"Lewis, where are my flowers?"

"Matty threw them to the floor. I cleaned the mess".

I take a deep breath.

"Do you want to know why I don't like you, Christina?", he asks, surprising me.

"Enlighten me".

"My best friend didn't get the job because of you".

"What?", I say. I didn't know of other people applying for this job when I did.

"Yeah. And he said to me that it was because they wanted a girl, for diversity and stuff".

"And you believed him?"

"At first, yeah", he says. "Then I realised that even if that was Dom's original reason, you deserved being here. But it still hurt that my friend lost to you".