Chapter 48

Mel

Tammy asked everyone to stay after the last class was over to make an announcement. I thought I was going to hyperventilate when she told us that she had found a buyer for the facility. It felt too soon.

Is this really happening?

I gripped my knees to keep from falling over as Tammy launched further into her big announcement.

Please, please, please, let this be good news.

"The new owner said they planned on keeping everything running as is, meaning the rink is safe. It won't be turning into a concert hall or shopping venue. You won't have to change the way you do your lessons, and you all get to keep your jobs," she announced with a huge smile.

A collective exhale could be heard throughout the room as everyone in attendance let out the breath we'd all been holding. We get to stay. I don't have to find a new job. Thank goodness!

As Tammy filled us in on a few of the particulars of the arrangement, I eased my heart back to a normal pace. The stress of this situation has weighed on me since I found out Tammy was retiring. Now that I know my job isn't at stake, I can finally relax.

After the meeting, Tammy pulls me aside. "Mel, do you have a few minutes?"

"Yeah, what's going on?" I reply.

She waves me along as she heads to her office, shutting the door behind us as I filter in after her. "Please, take a seat."

My throat starts tightening as I sit in the empty chair in front of Tammy's desk, wondering what bomb she's about to drop on me.

Crap, this is probably where she tells me the new owners could only keep so many of us on, and I'm the unlucky trainer who's about to get fired.

I fold my shaking hand into a fist on my leg as I wait to find out my fate. "So, as you know, the new owner has agreed to keep everyone on in their current positions as part of the sales agreement."

I nod my head, waiting for her to drop the but...

"However..."

There it is.

"... with the current staff, there is no official manager after I leave," Tammy informs me.

It takes a full ten seconds for my brain to register that I haven't been fired. What is she trying to say?

Still feeling confused about why she pulled me into the office, I wonder aloud, "Okay... What does that have to do with me?"

I see my soon-to-be former boss smiling widely at me. "They asked who I would recommend to take on the role as manager here when I'm gone. And I suggested you."

My eyes blink rapidly as I try to understand if I just heard her correctly. I gaped at her, fumbling my words before I was able to form a coherent sentence. "Uh, I'm sorry, did I just hear that correctly? You told them I should be considered for the manager position?"

"That's right. If you're interested, you'll need to go through a formal interview with him next week, but I have no doubt you'll get the job." Tammy continues beaming at me as my brain continues to sputter.

My mouth opens and closes a few times as I sit there, shocked by what she just told me. "You're the best person for the job, Mel. With your background in skating and degree in management, there's no one I could think of better suited for the position. Plus, you're incredible with the staff and students. You could even suggest new programs to the owner if you wanted to."