Chapter 17

Jade's Pov

"What's so bad about silver and wolfsbane?" Skylar asked.
"It's lethal to wolves if you take a big amount of it," Caden said and Ayden turned around.
"How much is there?" He asked Dr. Bour.
"Skylar has about one and a half ounces. Jade has a little under an ounce." He replied.
"What's the lethal amount?" I asked.
"Three ounces," Dr. Bour said and Skylar gasped.
"Wait, how is it that Skylar has more?" I questioned.
"Jade you said you would give your food scraps to the rest of the girls. If Beta Alfred, in fact, was poisoning the food that could explain why she has more" Lance said and I looked at Skylar.
"You mean I have been poising my friends?" I felt the tears build up in my eyes.
"No, you didn't know" She reassured.
"Dr. Bour, I need you to keep all of these files together. Make a copy of them and send them to me. Include the reports from their first checkup and all that follow" Ayden said and he nodded.
"The other thing, I can give the girls medicine and vitamins for them to take on a daily basis, or I can inject them with it." He suggested.
"Is it painful?" I asked.
"A little. It's going to drain all of that in a day and will heal you both. Have you been feeling sick after you eat?" He asked us.
"I thought it was normal," Skylar said.
"The poison in your food in Alpha Roy's pack was making you sick, but you're not supposed to be feeling like that after you eat. Your body is getting used to eating unpoisoned food and a bigger portion of it. The shot will also help you with that" He said and I bit my lip nervously.
"I'll do it. I'm tired of feeling sick and weak all the time" Skylar said.
"Alright, I'll prepare it. You can return back in about three hours." He said and we nodded. We left his office and went back to the packhouse. We went to Ayden's office to talk privately.
"Ayden please we need to get them out of there" I begged and he looked at me.
"Yes, who knows what they could be going through in there Alpha Ayden please," Skylar said and he shook his head.
"Skylar please, call me Ayden. Alpha is too formal." He said and she nodded.
"I am already working on something to present to the Alphas and as soon as Dr. Bour gets me those copies it will get us a step closer to freeing those girls." He sat down.
"H-how could he do this? Using us as a punching bag wasn't enough?' I questioned and Ayden growled.
"He poisoned us and he is poisoning all the other girls in there right now" Skylar cried. I reached over to hug her and Ayden slammed the desk.
"Caden please get the girls out of here," a dark voice said. I looked up and Caden was standing in front of us.
"What's going on?" I asked. I looked back and saw Ayden hunched over the desk breathing heavily.
"Caden now!" he yelled again. There were growling noises coming from his direction and he turned to look at us. His eyes were black and his canine teeth were out. I gasped and Caden stood us up.
"Milo?" I questioned and he looked over at me. His eyes glistened for a second.
"Jade, we need to give Ayden his space to control Milo," Caden said to us. Lance walked over to Ayden but he was shoved away.
"Wait, Milo don't hurt them," Lance called out. I put Skylar behind me and we both stood behind Caden.
"Milo stop" Caden growled. Milo's head snapped at him and he grabbed him by his throat.
"I am the Alpha" His low voice growled. Caden struggled to breathe in his grasp. I looked over at Lance who was standing up from the shove earlier.
"Milo" I called out and he looked at me.
"Jade d-don't," Caden said between breaths. He clawed at Milo's arm but it was no use.
"Mate," Milo said and I nodded.
He threw Caden on the floor and landed with a really loud thud. He walked over to me and I could feel my body shaking. He reached over to me and my breath hitched. I closed my eyes to prepare myself for the hit. He placed his hand on my cheek and I slowly opened my eyes. His eyes were changing between gray and black as if he was fighting with himself on the inside. I placed my shaky hand over his and he breathed out. He closed his eyes for a second and then opened them again to reveal his beautiful gray eyes. He pulled me into a hug and I froze.
"I am so sorry for scaring you," Ayden's voice said. I tried pulling away but his tight grip kept me close.
"It's not your fault," I said and he let me go. I looked back and saw Skylar staring at Ayden.
"A-are all wolves l-like that?" She asked and I shook my head.
"Milo is short-tempered" Caden laughed as they walked over to us.
"I have never seen him calm down that fast," Lance said and Caden shook his head.
"Usually takes a couple of hours and some runs," Caden laughed.
"Skylar, Milo is sorry for scaring you. Both of you. He gets very upset when you mention anything that Alpha Roy did to you" Ayden said and Skylar nodded. I stepped back from him and he frowned.
"I think I am going to go back to my room with Skylar. Can you let us know if you have any updates about the case?" I told him.
"I thought you wanted to hang out today?" He asked and I bit my lip.
"It's fine. You can go" He sat down at his desk and looked down at his paperwork.
"We can still hang out if you want," I said and he shook his head. I looked up at Caden and Lance. They shrugged and I frowned. I furrowed my eyebrows and concentrated on trying to open mindlink. Caden smirked and opened it for me.
"What's up darling?" He asked.
"I made him feel bad. Talk to him and call me when Dr. Bour is ready for us."
"Yes Luna" he nodded and I rolled my eyes.
"Is something wrong?" Ayden asked and we looked at him. "What are you guys talking about?" Caden looked at me.
"Jade asked me if I could walk her to her room." He replied and walked over to us.
"I'll see you later" He put his hand on my back and Ayden growled.
"Watch your hand Caden" He warned and we walked out of the room.
"Is he always that mad?" Skylar asked and Caden laughed.
"Yes, but don't worry he won't hurt anyone," He shrugged.
"He hurt you and Lance," I said and he nodded.
"Don't worry. We're brothers he won't ever kill us" He said and we stayed quiet.
"Forget about it okay? I'll call you girls down later" We got to the room and said goodbye to him.
"Do you think he is always going to be like that? Getting mad for everything?" Skylar asked and I shrugged.
"Don't forget he is an Alpha. He has a lot of responsibilities" I said and laid down on the bed.
"When can I meet Sara?" She asked and laid down next to me.
"I haven't transformed. I don't know how he does it so we can talk to Milo while he is still in human form. " I sighed.
"I am going to take a nap. Wake me up later please?" I said and she nodded.

Ayden's Pov

"Why must you rattle me in front of my mate?" I asked Caden.
"I don't want to get you mad. Milo scares her and my protective instincts kick in." he shrugged.
"Ayden, we have known you for years and we respect you but just know we will protect her just as much," Lance said and I gave them a small smile.
"Trust me you won't have to protect her from me" Milo pushed through to tell them then sat back.
"I really wanted to hang out with her" I groaned.
"What happened last night?" Lance asked.
"I took her out to the garden and we talked"
"You took her to your mother's garden?" He asked
"And you only talked?" Caden wiggled his eyebrows at me.
"We kissed," I said and they looked at me in shock. "She kissed me,"
"She made the first move?" Lance asked and I nodded.
"I didn't want to scare her off," I said.
"It's crazy how just two weeks ago you had no interest in finding someone. Now you found your Luna and we are all going crazy for her" Caden laughed. I continued working on the paperwork while they gushed about Jade.

Jade's Pov

I woke up and saw Skylar asleep next to me. I laughed and covered her with a blanket. I stood up and headed over to the restroom. I looked at myself in the mirror and frowned. How can Ayden even find me attractive?
"Why do you always have to bring yourself down?" Sara questioned
"I don't want to get my hopes up just for them to be crashed" I shrugged.
"You know he won't reject you why are you still worried?"
"I'm not used to the affection he is giving me"
"Well get used to it because I don't think he is going to stop anytime soon"
There was a knock at the door and I peaked out of the bathroom. I walked over to the door and saw him standing there.
"Hey" He breathed out.
"Hey Ayden" I smiled.

Ayden's Pov

"I wanted to check on you," I said and she bit her lip. If only she knew how much that drove me nuts, but
"Did you want to hang out?" she asked me and I nodded. She looked back and shrugged.
"Skylar is asleep and last time that she woke up without me being in the room she freaked out." She frowned.
"Do you want me to send Caden up here?" I asked and she shook her head.
"Trust me that wouldn't be a good idea either,"
"Don't worry about it. We can hang out later if you would like"
I pulled her into a hug and she froze for a minute. She hugged me back and I took in her amazing smell.
"Sorry" I smiled and let her go.
"No worries" she looked around awkwardly.
"I'll let you rest," I said and turned around. I mentally slapped myself and groaned.
"Why were you so awkward?" Milo laughed.
"She makes me nervous. I don't want to mess up with her"
"Don't be an idiot"
"I'm not"
He laid back and I headed back to my office.
"Rejected?" Caden asked as soon as I walked in.
"Shut it"
"Why didn't she want to go with you?" Lance asked.
"She didn't want to leave Skylar Alone,"
"They are really attached to the hip" Caden commented.
"Keep in mind that they only had each other for the past eleven years," I said and they nodded. "Whenever I have the chance I am going to ask her more information about the abuse"
"Did you get the chance to call the rest of the Alphas to set up a meeting?" Lance asked and I shook my head.
"I need more information before I call them together." I sighed.
"How long will that take? Skylar and Jade are worried about the girls" Caden reminded.
"I don't know yet. Hopefully soon. I hate seeing them like that." I groaned. "Will you two help me or are you leaving?"
"I'm good," Caden laid on the couch and sighed.
"Get up or get out"
"You heard him" Lance slapped him in the head and Caden glared at him.
"Okay fine. Give me the stupid paperwork"