Chapter Sixteen

The day has finally arrived

The day has finally arrived. In a matter of hours, I will be named Princess of Evæqesta, wife of the prince. My nerves are all over the place. Clara giggles as the maids twist up my hair. Securing it in place with pins made up of white pearls. They match the pearl-lace Elias had made for me.

"You make a lovely bride," Clara says, standing next to the mirror in front of me. "Will he shed tears, I wonder."

"Everyone cries at weddings," Mother laughs, dabbing her eyes before placing her hands on my shoulders. "Both of my children married in the same year."

I look at her reflection, sighing.

"I'm really happy you and Father could be here," I say with tears in my eyes.

Mother laughs softly, giving my shoulders a gentle squeeze.

"You are ready, your highness," says the maid, giggling as she disappears from the room.

"Shall I fetch your father?" Mother asks, producing a handkerchief and dabbing her eyes.

"Let's set this event in motion," I reply, nodding.

Clara smiles, "I am going to find Erik and claim our seats. See you out there, sister."

I have only attended my brother's wedding

I have only attended my brother's wedding. I was merely a bystander. Today, I am the centerpiece. I cling to my father's arm, waiting for the doors to open and the music to play. To make my entrance and walk down the aisle to the man of whom I shall be wife.

"Special day," Father says, rubbing my shoulder and kissing the side of my head. "My little wildflower is getting married. The prince is a good man... I could not have thought of a better match for you."

"Father... I heard you and Mother speaking about imagining and allowing things to happen on their own..."

"Ah," his chuckle is hesitant, nervous. "Ariabella, your mother is a particular kind of woman. She could wish anything into existence if she could."

"Just by imagining? Or is magic involved?"

"Your mother is not magical in any form other than her beauty and personality," Father explains with another chuckle. "If there were anything we should tell you, we would have shared it before now."