7

It took several days and nights, staying at inns along the way, before they reached the outskirts of Salzburg. Bernhard had thought they would march upon Düsterburg, but the Maestro appeared to have other ideas. Beethoven had shared little of his plans with Bernhard and this led to no small amount of frustration on Bernhard's part. He disliked not knowing what Beethoven intended.

He disliked even less the great composer's actions along the way. In almost every inn, the Maestro had found himself one or more ladies with whom he fornicated. Never remembering their names once they had left the village or town. And he ate and drank like a sailor, fresh from the seas and hungry for everything a ship could not provide. The Maestro showed himself a glutton in all things.

Whenever Bernhard tried to open up a conversation about their task, of finding the Vampire Lord and putting an end to his wicked existence, the Maestro would brush aside Bernhard's questions, furnishing only platitudes and vague forewarnings of how to fight once they found the creature. Bernhard had started to believe that the Maestro had no plan at all and Bernhard's military mind despised such an omission. Without proper planning, every campaign was doomed to failure before a shot became fired.

"Maestro, should we be wasting time here when we could have reached the creature's sanctuary by now?" Bernhard hurried to keep pace with Beethoven as he weaved through Salzburg's streets, his head covered by his cloak hood. "Maestro!"

"Shhh!" Beethoven spun on his heel, making furtive glances all around. "I told you, call me Beety, or Luddy! Ears are pricked everywhere, eh!"

Beethoven licked his lips as he adjusted the hood of his cloak, sending distrustful glances towards everyone that passed. He turned, once again, and began to stride with purpose. It appeared the great man knew exactly where he needed to go and Bernhard wished he had an inkling of that destination. He caught up to Beethoven again.

"I merely wish to know why we are here ... ah ... Luddy." They turned yet another corner and Beethoven stopped, looking both ways, and then decided upon a direction. Bernhard whispered his concerns. "The longer that creature lives, the more lives he could destroy. I am indebted to you, and to the memory of my beloved. I will aid you in this, but you must tell me your plans!"

The Maestro appeared ready to ignore Bernhard's protests until Bernhard grabbed his arm and dragged him to the side, nestling in the mouth of an alley. Beethoven looked about ready to rip his arm from Bernhard's hand, but Bernhard held fast. He had spent far too much time in ignorance. He tried not to draw attention to themselves and, finally, Beethoven sighed.

"Fighting vampires doesn't come cheap, eh? You think those hazel batons are picked up from the ground?" Now it appeared Beethoven didn't care who saw. The man was a whirlwind of contradiction. He waved one of the hazel batons in Bernhard's face. "We're here to furnish a commission. I write some music, I get paid, we're on our merry way, eh? We buy more supplies. Shouldn't take more than a day. Or so."

"You write some music and get paid?" Bernhard had not seen the Maestro touch a blank sheet of music paper since they had met. He hadn't seen him play an instrument since that first night. "Easy as that? I hope you already have something written, or your patron may be disappointed."

"Of course I have something written!" The Maestro tapped his temple, giving Bernhard a wink. "In here. I've been working on it for days."

That seemed to end the Maestro's interest in explaining himself. With a furtive glance to the street, he stepped out once more and headed away, at pace. Bernhard followed the great man until they reached a music shop. Outside, the shop appeared like any other, but, inside, Bernhard found the place a marvel.