sixteen

Going for a midnight drive helps me calm down sometimes. My head feels like it's spinning and I feel nauseous.

My bike speads passed car after car. I scream as loudly as I can while still driving. A deep breath leaves my lips soon after.

I pull over and take my phone out of my jacket pocket. A few messages and a missed call from Madeleine, calls from my mom and even one from my dad.

I call Madeleine back, even though her calls where from almost an hour ago.

"Blade? Blade?" She asks frantically.

"Hey," I say quietly. I didn't know what to do. I fucked up I think.

"Oh- thank fucking god! Are you okay?" A sigh of relief leaves her lips.

"I'm fine. Just needed to go for a drive. I needed to clear my head, think a little I guess. I'm on my way back now," I rub my face and take a deep breath.

"Okay. Hey, I love you Blade."

"I love you too baby."

I hang up and shove my phone back into my pocket. Starting my bike again I close my eyes for a second.

On the way home I take my time, think about Madeleine and how I want to go about giving her this promise ring. I've carried it zipped in my leather jacket since I got it.

I pull into my driveway and head to her house. I knock and her dad answers the door, "son it's a little late."

I sigh, "I know Mr. Foster. I came to ask you something before talking to Madeleine."

He lets me in and I sit at the kitchen table. He sits across from me and I run my hand through my hair.

"I'm not asking to marry her, so don't freak out," I chuckle softly, trying to ease the tension.

A sigh of relief leaves his lips and he chuckles, "alright then. Good."

"I wanted to ask- well I don't know what I'm here to ask. To be honest I have no clue what to say to you. Except I love your daughter. I- I don't think I could imagine my life where she isn't in it."

He nods silently and I take a deep breath, "the past year with her has been more than I could ever ask for. She's helped me through things I never thought she'd handle. I- she's an amazing person and she is everything and more."

"I know you love her son. I see it in your eyes, like right now. Your eyes are lighting up as you talk about her."

A creaking noise causes us both to look over and I see her.

Madeleine stands with her arms crosses and her head down. Shorts and my t-shirt cover her body. "Sorry, I wasn't trying to eavesdrop. I came to get a snack."

Her dad believes her, but I don't. She has a mini fridge and snack in her room. They had just been refilled too.

I chuckle and shake my head.

Derrick stands up and says, "be good you guys."

He walks upstairs, probably to his bedroom.

"Hey," I say. "What all did you hear?" I scratch the back on my neck.

She giggles, "you're madly in love with me and you're not asking me to marry you right now?"

I chukcle nervously before clearing my throat. I get up and walk over to her. Unzipping the pocket I pull our the ring.

"I wanted to give this to you. I didn't know how to and i- it's a promise ring." I take a deep breath, "I love you so much and I bought this for you a year ago. I kept it and kept thinking how to give it to you."

She smiles brightly and says, "really Blade?"

I nod and hold her hand in mine. "I love you."

"I love you too."

I hand her the ring and she puts it on her finger. A smile spreads across my lips and she looks up at me.

"Happy one year," she giggles.

"Happy one year baby."

I pull her into a kiss, holding her tightly against me. Our bodies so close, the only thing keeping us from skin to skin is our clothes.

She pulls away softly and says, "do you wanna stay the night? We can watch movies or something?"

I nod, "yeah."

She smiles and nods back and before she can move I pick her up, throwing her over my shoulder.

"Blade! Hey, what're you doing!" She squeals quietly.

"Carrying you," I smile.

She hits at my butt and says, "put me down."

"Nuh uh," I say before patting her butt, the way she's doing to me.

Bringing her upstairs I set her down in her room. Her arms pull me in by the back of my neck. She smiles and leans back slightly. "I love you."

"I love you too baby."

If it came to marrying this girl, I'd be all for it. I've never been so happy in my entire life.

I can't even remember the last time someone or something made me this happy. I can't believe I have the girl of my dreams right in front of me.

A girl who makes me feel things I've never felt before. She makes me want to be a better person, like stop the fight and stop being a dick to everyinr around me. She makes me want to be better I guess.

She deserves better than me, I'm not all that great, but yet here we are. Standing in her bedroom holding each other. Holding each other might be one of my favorite things to do if I'm honest.