Beyond a Home

"Are you ready to leave, Miss Aldwyn?"

"Give me a minute, Keagan," I snapped and zipped the stuffed blue suitcase I'd been given to survive the weekend. "Now, I'm ready."

Keagan stood by the entrance to my room, stone-faced and stripped of emotions, just like I remembered him. Not much about him had changed, honestly. Not even his clothes.

However, I was convinced that beneath the tough exterior lurked a gentler soul. Perhaps Mom could lure that side of him to the surface. She had an uncanny ability to provoke the best in people.

"Shall I take your baggage, Miss Aldwyn?"

So polite and so formal as always.

"I'm good, thanks," I said as I passed him with the case rolling behind me. I was too excited to slow down and wait for him.

I rounded one corner and the next before hurrying down a few stairs. I barely struggled to lift the suitcase, which surprised me a little, given the weight. I'd grown so much stronger since I arrived.

The halls felt longer than usual—endless even. It felt as if I was moving forward only an inch at a time with miles to go.

By the time I finally laid eyes on the giant Water Iridis marking carved into the wooden door, I was breathless. Yet, I picked up the pace.

The scent of lubricating oil and the hum of electricity in the air swaddled me like a comfort blanket as I pushed the giant door open.

The train was just as magnificent as I remembered it, but I didn't stop to admire it as I had the first time. Instead, I stepped up to the closest entrance, eager to get moving.

A hand suddenly wrapped around my wrist, holding me back. I guess Keagan had been able to keep up with me after all.

"Miss Aldwyn," Keagan said, his gray eyes as lifeless as always. "I understand you are eager to see your family, but I must insist on taking your baggage. We have a specific procedure for traveling by this train and a designated place for everything."

"Oh," I said, tightening my grip around the suitcase. "I guess that's—" I sighed and finally handed it to him. "Just don't drop it."

I had a gift for Tristan in there.

Keagan nodded as politely as his stiff neck allowed him to, and he grabbed the suitcase tightly—as if nothing more important existed in the world.

I smiled at the Tinman as he turned his back to me to proceed toward the rear. I didn't waver from the entrance until he stepped inside the rear-most wagon with my suitcase.

The cart was eerily empty and disturbingly quiet. There was no humming engine sound like I was used to, and the lack of people was strange—although expected. My chamber and the Battle Arena were the only places in the castle where I had been able to find a moment's peace; otherwise, I was always surrounded by suitors, royals, staff, or watchful eyes behind the installed cameras.

"You should find a seat, Miss Aldwyn. The train will depart soon."

Keagan stepped past me and settled in one of the seats. I sat down across from him, which apparently didn't please him. He gave me a long, tired stare before moving to the seat across the passageway.

I sighed and sank deeper into my seat, not bothering to address his rude behavior. Instead, I focused on the scent of leather and plastic permeating the air. It reminded me of the old shed where Dad kept his broken treasures.

Finally, the train started moving, and I glued my eyes to the window, hoping to glimpse the elemental animals. However, just as we rounded the pillar supporting the castle, and right before I expected to glimpse the fox statue, the train turned right.