03 | in which Harper and Lawson are trapped in an airing cupboard

"You know," Lawson said, "if you wanted to seduce me, the sponge bath would have been the better way to go

"You know," Lawson said, "if you wanted to seduce me, the sponge bath would have been the better way to go."

He shifted in the darkness, and Harper shivered slightly. She could feel the heat coming off him in waves. Every sensation was heightened in the pitch black: a brush of a sleeve against her wrist, the smell of his cedar cologne mixing with fizzy champagne.

"Not that I'm opposed to the closet," Lawson added cheerfully. "Lovely ambience. I think a spider climbed up my leg a moment ago."

Harper blew out a breath. "That was my ex-boyfriend."

"The spider?"

She shot him a withering look. "Jake."

"You dated Jake Parker?"

Harper could hear the surprise in his voice, and she tried not to be offended. Jake Parker: famous Hollywood darling. He'd risen to fame after snagging the lead role in the live-action version of Thumbelina, and now Jake spent his days drinking champagne and taking expensive plane rides to France. He was larger than life. And she was just...

Well. Her.

No wonder Lawson sounded so incredulous.

"We were in high school," Harper said. "It was before Jake was famous."

"I see." Lawson shifted. "And who broke things off?"

She crossed her arms. "Does it matter?"

Not that he could see her in the darkness, Harper realized, but her tone must have given it away, because Lawson's voice softened.

"I take it things didn't end well?" Lawson asked.

"No."

Lawson inhaled sharply. "Did he...?"

Harper felt him stiffen. Lawson's voice had taken on an edge, and too late, she realized where his thoughts had gone.

"No!" Harper said quickly. "No. He just..." She fiddled with a bracelet, glancing towards the closet door. How long did one have to wait in a closet with a total stranger to avoid their ex-boyfriend? Two minutes? Ten? "Look, I hardly know you. And it's a long story. A long and boring story."

She could hear Lawson's smile. "We're in a closet, Ohio. We've got time."

Harper blew out a breath. Oh, what the hell? She was only in London for a few weeks. She'd never have to see Lawson Hale again.

What did she have to lose?

She shifted her weight. "So I have this thing about love. My parents got divorced when I was eleven, and I started this scrapbook. I'd take photographs of things that made me believe in love again. Cheesy greeting cards. People holding hands. Fiftieth anniversary balloons. And one day, Jake found it."