Chapter 5

Hey, this one goes to @tiger_pop (s)he just made my day and I thought I'd express my gratitude with this. Anyway, enjoy guys!

~~~

"Bryant?" My voice echoed through the dark. I don't know why I was calling out to him but it was as if I wasn't in control of my actions. My heart sat heavily in my chest and I sucked in a deep breath to calm the bundle of nerves that was forcing me to succumb into the sadness buried deep within me.

My breath hitched in my throat when I saw the darkness being lifted and a scene appeared before me. I could feel tears threatening to break through. I remember this, I thought silently as I tried to contain the sobs rising. I have to be strong. Don't let them see you be weak. Don't give them that satisfaction. You're strong. You are strong. I chanted inside my head as I watched the scene unravel.

There was a swimming pool in the middle of a familiar backyard. I watched as a girl ran towards it in her swimming suit, chased by a boy no older than 8 running behind her. She squealed in glee when the boy was close enough to reach her and took a fleeting decision before jumping into the pool.

She realized what she did too late and soon, she panicked, her limbs flailing around as she fought to rise to the surface. She couldn't swim.

Lucky for the girl, arms wrapped around her small body and tugged her out of the water. Suddenly, she was able to breathe again as she coughed out water through her tear stricken state. The boy held her in her arms as she frantically gulped in air and rubbed her back soothingly.

He cooed at her and silenced her with soothing words. "Shh now, Casey. Nothing bad is going to happen to you as long as I'm here. I won't let anything bad happen to you. Shush now, little Casey, everything's gonna be alright. Promise me you will be strong. Be strong for me and don't cry, Casey." I remember nodding to his words and promising him that I'll stay strong no matter what happens.

I choked on a sob and felt myself die slowly inside. Hearing his voice and watching this scene unfold was so surreal, it almost made me believe that it wasn't just a part of my mind playing tricks on me.

My heart felt like someone was pushing a stake into it, piercing it slowly before twisting it in an excruciatingly painful way.

I watched as the girl giggle at what her brother said to her and all the sadness vanished from her little chubby face. She was okay now, as long as her brother was there, she's not afraid anymore. He was her rock. Her world. Her everything.

Time fast-forwarded itself and the girl was now pinching her nose and scrunching up her face as she laid horizontally, half submerged in water. Her brother's hands the only thing keeping her afloat. He was teaching her how to float on water and despite her love for her brother, she was terrified of drowning again. The feel of panic underwater was not something she wished to ever feel again.

"Relax your limbs, Case. You won't be able to float if you're so tense." Bryant scolded her - well me - but yeah, you get it.

She was hesitant at first but after a second, she let go of the breath she was holding and did as told. She was putting her complete trust in her brother and putting her life in his hands.

After minutes of floating, mulling over the times when her brother told her to trust him, she felt the absence of a pair of hands under her and was filled with complete excitement when she realized she was floating on her own.

"Bry! Bry! I'm-" she lost her balance and a look of sheer terror and panic crossed her face but just like he promised, he caught her the moment that half of her face was submerged.