❆Second Chance (23)

~J A C K S O N~

NINE HOURS AND I STILL HAD NOT HEARD FROM ANY OF THE DOCTORS. Nine hours and Lily is still unconscious. Nine hours of trying to stay calm and collected but it was so damned hard.

This has to have been the worst nine hours of my life and I would do anything to hear the words; "she'll be okay." Even if there was a 'but' in involved, I really am not worried about that. Three words and I will be out of my suffering.

But I am still stuck in it and won't be able to make it out until I see a doctor walking up to me and sharing the three words I want to hear.

It's just been too long.

Everyone is here for Lily. Nathan, Mia, Rose, Linda, Amy, Alex, Zeke, my mom, and James. When I broke the news to some of them since the others found out on the news-they were at my side like a clingy girlfriend would be. I didn't mind though, I needed the closure.

"Jack, could you help me get coffee for everyone and juice for the kids?" Mia asks, smiling softly my way. The bags under her eyes give away that she really cares about her sister.

I nod, standing to my feet and stretching out my limbs. My back feels like I have been stabbed a thousand times, probably more. It's not as terrible as my heart though but it still feels like a mother.

Mia and I slowly stroll towards the cafeteria. In silence. I know Mia asked me to help her because she wanted to talk to me. I don't understand what about.

Mia sighs and from the corner of my eye, I see her wiping her cheeks. "Lily and I had a little conflict. . ." She starts, running a hand through her hair that reminds me so much of Lily that it hurts. "She's just too nice for her own good. She can get in trouble with her sweetness."

"What do you mean?" I ask, my brows furrowing. "She is not too nice or too sweet, it's just that people take advantage of that, use it against their own will just to get what they want."

"I didn't mean it like that. I know what people are capable of, especially if you're too naive."

I don't know why, but I just snap; "Lily is not naive, Mia! She's your sister for God's sake. You wouldn't understand what she's going through because David was in your life at least when you were born. Lily never got to meet him until he wanted something from her. So don't you dare call her naive."

I guiltily watch as Mia's expression falls, her eyes downcast. I try to say something, but I can't think of anything. I feel bad for saying something like that, especially to Mia. I, wouldn't understand what they are going through. I had a great family where both parents were present.

"I feel bad and stupid," Mia starts again, breathing in and out before running a hand through her hair, again. "I hate David so much more right now. I don't know what happened between Lily and you but she came home really angry and sad and. . .she looked like I did when I noticed I wasn't going to see my father again. It took us two full days to get her to calm down. She kept yelling how much it was a mistake speaking to David only because of something that happened between the two of you."

I think back to the day Lily and I argued in my office and I immediately felt a slight pang in my chest. Lily is worth more than what she is and was going through.

I was stupid for speaking like I knew Lily all my life. Like we were friends before. I shouldn't have mentioned her listening to her dad after years of rejection. It wasn't my place to say something like that.

"I said some pretty terrible things to her." I let out, scratching at my stubble that I keep forgetting to shave.

"You and I the same."