Chapter 18

Bree looked like Norman when she'd revealed she wanted to break up but her mouth did not hang open like a fish's, thank the stars.

There was a sad look about the Mayor's eyes and Bree couldn't tell if it was regret or guilt.

"W-what do you mean?" She asked.

"Jimmy is my younger brother." He said. This time he spoke in his casually kind tone and leaned back into couch.

Bree felt wheels spinning inside her head. She tried to connect dots but nothing seemed to make sense.

"How is that possible?" She asked.

The Mayor crossed his legs at his feet. The man was as hairy as his French poodle. Perhaps it was the only trait he shared with Jim.

"It is a long and tiring story miss Deckard but yes we are, in fact, brothers and Berry is my little niece." At the last sentence, he made a shushing gesture and nodded toward the house.

"She thinks you're her father." Bree stated quietly.

"She does and it hurts me to think that one day i'll have to tell her otherwise but for now, she's way too young to understand." Gordon said.

Bree herself was finding it difficult to understand. She didn't want to pester the man with questions but she also wanted to know why everyone avoided or hated Jim.

"You took his child from him and locked him up in the middle of the forest." She accused hoping to get Gordon to talk. His lips tightened and Bree feared she had crossed a line and he would kick her out. That would suck big time. But Gordon's shoulders suddenly slumped.

"I did what was best for her and for him. He had options - go to jail for life or live far from town. He chose the second and now he wants to come back. I can't let that happen."

"What did he do that was so wrong?" Bree asked feeling a little impatient.

"He killed Berry's mother." Gordon snapped.

Bree retracted her head slightly. She was surprised that she wasn't shocked to hear such a thing. Jim already looked like a killer and a crazy one at that.

"Who was she?" Bree asked. She was always on the asking end.

The way Gordon avoided her eyes at that question made Bree believe Berry's mother was probably someone he loved. He leaned forward and laced his fingers again. They were long and slender like a pianist's.

"It's not important but he murdered an innocent woman in cold blood. You don't know him and you're vouching for his freedom. He's scarred my town too many times and all those years i'd fought with myself. I couldn't put him away because he's my brother and that caused me a lot of trouble. Killing the woman i. . . " at that point, Gordon held his tongue. He sighed and rested on the couch again. "He crossed the line when he took Berry's mother. I had to whisk the child away before he hurt her. Still, i pardoned him. I didn't want the whole town to hate me so i gave him a choice."

Bree finally began to understand why the man was hesistant to free Jim. What she didn't quite get was Norman's story. What had Jim done to him?

"You let him go." Bree said.

"No. He was punished to a life of isolation, he just had to choose where he'd live out his days- jail or that wild habitat he loves. He left and has never shown his face again as agreed. I do know he does business now. He makes the best woodwork, he's good at chasing wild animals and bringing them home for dinner."

At the mention of wild animals, Bree perked up. She was already confused as to whether she should continue pleading for Jim or just let it go. He had helped her build the cage and if Bree captured this monster, Jimothy would have a hand in saving the town. It wouldn't take long before that monster switched diet.