10

I was led to a familiar looking door. The door of the Duke's study. The butler knocked and upon the door opening, I entered and it shut behind me. It left me alone with not only the Duke but also the Duchess.

Before I could greet them, the Duchess placed her hand up to stop me. "Greetings are useless seeing as there are more urgent matters to speak of such as a how a little girl found out about the spies within our residence."

Rather than answer instantly, I sat down at the long chair across from where she sat. The Duke stood by the bookshelf behind her with a book in hand while reading through the contents, as though he was not interested in my presence.

"In a game of cards, revealing all your good cards doesn't end well Duchess so I will have to refrain from telling you how I obtained said information but I'm sure that's not what's truly on your mind."

Her eyes narrowed and the air grew colder. "What really is your aim? A girl who hasn't reached the age of 10 yet is suddenly interested in my family when her debutante should be a more concerning matter. You surely understand my suspicions."

I smiled. "My family circumstances are poor and to put it simply, I need protection from my father and so do you."

I knew that I had roused her attention when I mentioned that. "Besides, the person targeting your family has done something unforgivable to me."

My aunt was good at hiding her facial expressions however she failed to hide her curiosity. Even the Duke did too, but I would elaborate no further, lest I fall into a panic attack like once before. It was silent before an exasperated sigh left the duchess's lips.

"You seem to be at the very least truthful about wanting to help my family, and you seem genuine in your endeavour to leave your family so we will adopt you."

I smiled genuinely. "Thank you for your generosity aunt and uncle. I hope that we get along wonderfully."

The duchess still looked skeptical while the duke appeared amused.

And just like that a few months passed.

××××××××××

“Did you hear that the crown prince is injured and in a coma?”

“Apparently the emperor is trying to cover this up.”

“Did you hear that the eldest princess has left the palace."

"People are saying that it's because of neglect and mistreatment from the emperor.”

“And Princess Penelope actually hosted a tea party during this time."

My lips quirked up into a smirk as the orb in front of me replayed all the rumours currently floating around. I know there's more but I've heard enough.

With the current situation, I am safe here. Claude can't bring me back because there's more attention on our relationship and by allowing me to stay here will only make matters worse. It's a lose lose situation on his side.

"Liana!"

Celia burst into my room, with papers bundled up in her hands. They appeared to be sketches of buildings and ideas that I had a feeling were related to her plans for her bakery.

"You promised to help me out with the design of my bakery," she accused as she moved towards my working table and placed the papers down.

It had been a while since I had talked to her of pursuing her dreams. During my stay, we talked more and more until I finally convinced her to go for it, with the condition that I would act as the shield to ensure that this would not backfire on her family.

It was refreshing to see her so happy and enthusiastic about her dreams, compared to the sad little girl that I met at first.

"My apologies, I have just been a little too busy with my own plans but since you're here, let's get down to work."

I surveyed the plans and was highly impressed. Celia was a year older than me but her vision was far greater than that of many adults that I knew of.

"I love these. Choosing an idea from one of these is quite challenging."

Celia went red in the face when I said that.

"Are you really serious?" she asked, sounding almost insecure. She didn't sound like the mature girl that I met in the greenhouse. She sounded like a girl her age. Someone who's learning and curious to the world.

"Of course I am. Maybe you could ask the duchess about it? She could choose the best one."

Celia shook her head. "Her reaction was just like yours."

"Hmmm," I pondered.

"Why don't you ask me?" whined a voice behind me and Celia flinched. Raoul stood with a disgustingly cute smile that made him appear innocent. If I knew not of his true nature, I would be fooled.

"Are you Raoul?" she asked.

"Why yes I am. A pleasure to meet the cousin my master fawns over."

Fawns is too strong a word and he knows it too. However Raoul was a smooth talker at heart. Especially with females....

My hand clasped together and he disappeared in a haze of mist almost immediately. Celia looked towards me, both confused and slightly frustrated at not talking to him for long.

I had no idea of his preferences and I would not risk learning of the more unsightly side with my cousin being involved.

'How cruel and tell your cousin that I think her first design is the best one'

I sighed out in an exasperated manner. "He says that your first design is the best one."

"Oh," she mumbled as a twinkle that I didn't like appeared in her eyes. I've seen love sick fools with that look before. "Celia?" I called out when I noticed her daze.

"Oh, please tell him that I said thank you for the input," she said cheerfully as she rolled up the other designs and laid the first one out.

'She is adorable'

'She's also off limits and still a child.'

'But if I place the seeds now when she's younger, would I not avoid later's tragedy from occuring.'

For that I did not have an answer. He was hopeful. Too hopeful for a spirit that had lived as long as he. She and him faced tragedies in the past because of their feelings but I wanted nothing from the past to repeat. Especially her death at the hands of her husband.

'Leave her be Raoul. One lifetime was enough tragedy for her. She can't suffer again.'

He was silent after that.

I chose to leave the topic alone and get to work with voicing any improvements that could be made. And just like that a whole afternoon was spent.